Windows 11 screen flickering and then suddenly turning black screen .

Raunak Shrivastab

Reaction score
Windows 11 screen flickering and then suddenly turning black screen then normal then again black until i don't restart my labtop

CymruUSA

Reaction score
I would try to update or change your display driver. See if it's the manufacturers or MS out of the box. Whichever one it is, try the other one. Good luck.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which display adaptor and monitor are you using? If they're modern enough to have FreeSync/G-Sync, I'd try disabling "dynamic refresh rate" to see if that helps.

KickingAustin

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. I'm using a surface laptop 3 with 10th gen i7 and 16 GB ram.
It only happens when I kind of "push" the GPU. I have a remote desktop session windowed in the corner and a youtube video going. Sometimes thats enough, sometimes I need to open one more tab for it to happen. Before going black sometimes the resolution almost seems to change or it at least gets quite blurry.

EDIT: Scaling was at 125%. Blurring doesn't seem to occur at 100% scaling on the built in 2256 x 1504 display.

Last edited:

SLiM

Reaction score
Facing the same problem, after put my laptop in sleep mode, when I tried wake it up, suddenly starts flickering on lock screen blue and white.

aman1sinha

Reaction score
hi, my legion-y740 laptop screen flickers after coming back from sleep mode and doesn't stop until I restart my laptop.

torsktunga

Reaction score
This happens to me only when I use the Edge browser at times and I get all types of strange artifacts, black screen flickering and distorted graphical glitches on certain icons, mouse cursor and other elements. Made a little video on how it looks. I have all the latest Intel drivers on my Dell XPS 13 (one of the latest models) and Im running the latest build of Windows 11. Really irretating once it starts happening.

kavinmark

Reaction score
I'm also having the exact same problem (exactly like @torsktunga's clip). For me, this flickering browser problem (whether it is Edge, Chrome, ...) ONLY happens when you resize the browser's window to around 3/4 of the entire screen. So having full or half of the screen or something smaller will not cause this problem.

shah.rizar

Reaction score
I also having the same problem. It's causing by Hardware Acceleration configuration for the browser. It's back to normal after I turn off the Hardware Acceleration.

Edge Settings>System
Google Chrome Settings>Advanced
Firefox Settings>General>Performance

markyp

Reaction score
It's only a few weeks until launch and my Surface Laptop 3 is still suffering from this issue; has anyone found a solution that doesn't involve disabling hardware acceleration?

WindevAngel

Reaction score
FIXED!!!!

Update to dev build 22468.1000 of Windows 11. This alleviates the issue caused by gpu hardware acceleration when using more than one display or if you have one display but is seen by windows as an external display for various reasons.

This fix will not be included in the release version of Windows 11 in a couple of days. The only way to apply the fix is to update to build 22468.1000 through the windows insider program. There is no available ISO to use, thus the only way to apply the fix is through linking an insider preview account to your installed instance of Windows 11.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this. Have a good flight.

markyp

Reaction score
@WindevAngel - thanks for the heads up... I've just installed W11 from the Dev channel, and it included what looked like new drivers for the display and bluetooth, and a 'Surface Monitor' update. No sign of the flickering so far, but I'll report back...

markyp

Reaction score
@WindevAngel

The Windows 11 black screen flicker is not fixed, I'm afraid - I've installed Insider Channel Dev build on my SL3, which included the updated Intel drivers, and there's screen flicker when you launch web apps such as YouTube Music, or when you move the snap line between apps.

Reverted back to Windows 10, and it looks like I'll be there for a few months yet.

Status762

Reaction score
Can anyone help my windows 11 was working fine then I got a weird runny green screen on just the bottom. Now it's all black with my screen tiny in a box on the upper left hand corner. But I can use a second display it works fine. But can't use it on my 4k hdr TV

Sirbery

Reaction score
I also having the same problem. It's causing by Hardware Acceleration configuration for the browser. It's back to normal after I turn off the Hardware Acceleration.

Edge Settings>System
Google Chrome Settings>Advanced
Firefox Settings>General>Performance
Thank you so much sharizah, it works perfectly

That Fool Pool Man

Reaction score
I'm also having the exact same problem (exactly like @torsktunga's clip). For me, this flickering browser problem (whether it is Edge, Chrome, ...) ONLY happens when you resize the browser's window to around 3/4 of the entire screen. So having full or half of the screen or something smaller will not cause this problem.

So I tried it with one of my computers. No such problem. Then I remember this one isn't running 11.

This is the brain power I'm wielding. :geek:

Ask a Question