2-Quick Questions with File Explorer

Aardwolf-11

Reaction score
Hi. My 2-Quick Questions with File Explorer are rather simple ones.

• In the Pictures folder, I searched everywhere for the Slide Show feature? Could Microsoft have done away with the Side Show feature & why? I’m sorry, I shouldn’t ask why Microsoft does what it does; I don’t think any of us understands Microsoft’s actions. Although I updated to Windows 11, I knew beforehand there were going to be some trade-offs. Fewer lost than gained. I don’t understand why Microsoft would recently add a few Feature Updates to Windows 10. Yet, had excluded them from Windows 11? I.E. Just a few months back (at least on my machine) Microsoft had the temperature (of my city) docked on my taskbar, which I thought was really cool. Possibly it got a lot of bad reviews/feedback, so it wasn’t a feature added to Windows 11. I believe it was less than 3-months ago. Despite knowing beforehand that Windows 11was all a bunch of hype, I still updated. Windows 10 I find is better than Windows 11 which didn’t surprise me at all. However, I’m sticking with Windows 11 & hope that Microsoft will come to their senses LOL! Although, with Windows 11 I understand there will only be one Feature Update per year. So, I’ll need to have a lot of patience because I think I have a long wait to see if Microsoft will be introducing any new Feature Updates in Windows 11. Perhaps this doesn’t apply to me, but I wonder if Microsoft plans on continuing doing Feature Updates with Windows 10 or just continuing with just the Security Updates with Windows 10? I think one would think Microsoft will now have all of their focus on Windows 11, but who knows with Microsoft. Please do excuse my ranting.
  • I’ll spare you from my ranting regarding Microsoft not adding “tabs” to File Explorer. I supposed that also wasn’t a popular feature to add to Windows 11. I already posted a thread on that subject & only received one reply. I think on this forum I’m batting 0 and 1; I don’t believe my first thread went over too well. I don’t know if maybe it’s a lack of members on this site. Anyway, let me address my second question here. As some of you may already know & could be using some third-party apps to add “tabs” to your File Explorer. To those who strongly like this feature in File Explorer (such as myself), I previewed a few of these apps, & the most favorable I came across is called, QTTabBar. With Windows 11 is anybody using this app, QTTabBar? I’m kind of hesitant with downloading/installing this app onto Windows 11 because it says that QTTabBar is compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, & Windows 7. However, it does not mention anything about Windows 8 nor Windows 10, which makes me a little leary.
Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Aardwolf-11

Reaction score
As a follow-up to my thread, I'm no longer concerned nor questioning why File Explorer no longer has the Slideshow feature. I found the slideshow feature to be in the Photos window which is sufficient enough for me. I supposed Microsoft has their reasons for removing the Slideshow feature out from File Explorer. in any event, I'm hoping someone will address my second question regarding is it safe to use the QTTabBar on Windows 11? Possibly my thread above could have been confusing & overwhelming to many folks. I now realize & tell myself this forum is a place to ask questions & to get answers; not to vent your frustrations or give your opinions. Perhaps that is why thus far 27-people have viewed my thread & not 1-reply. I don’t know what I possibly said to have offended anybody or turned people off? Thanks in advance!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Slideshow (picture) is still present for both Background and Screensaver customization. You can browse to select the photos you want to use.Screenshot 2021-10-21 181202.png

Screenshot 2021-10-21 181534.png

I didn't respond earlier, as I was certain you would find it on your own sooner or later.
Glad to hear that you did and thanks for posting back and letting us know.

In so far as QTTabBar, I have no personal experience with it so I cannot opine as to its' safety or efficacy.
I will say that it is a little early in Windows 11 to apply third party products

I recently purchased a product called StartAllBack which is a third party shell similar to PowerShell, but....
As it's from a Russian vendor, I haven't developed the level of courage to test it yet.
At some point I'll generate a full system image and give it a go and I'd suggest you do something similar before going forward with
QTTabBar, just in case it starts pitching errors or otherwise generally just starts glitching out.

As far as your initial post being a bit off-putting...
It was a bit difficult to read, maybe next time try throwing in some line spacing between paragraphs to help the reader sort and focus.

b_reasonable

Reaction score
Slideshow (picture) is still present for both Background and Screensaver customization. You can browse to select the photos you want to use.View attachment 218

View attachment 219

I didn't respond earlier, as I was certain you would find it on your own sooner or later.
Glad to hear that you did and thanks for posting back and letting us know.

In so far as QTTabBar, I have no personal experience with it so I cannot opine as to its' safety or efficacy.
I will say that it is a little early in Windows 11 to apply third party products

I recently purchased a product called StartAllBack which is a third party shell similar to PowerShell, but....
As it's from a Russian vendor, I haven't developed the level of courage to test it yet.
At some point I'll generate a full system image and give it a go and I'd suggest you do something similar before going forward with
QTTabBar, just in case it starts pitching errors or otherwise generally just starts glitching out.

As far as your initial post being a bit off-putting...
It was a bit difficult to read, maybe next time try throwing in some line spacing between paragraphs to help the reader sort and focus.
I don't want slideshow for screensaver - I want the slideshow that used to be available under picture format so that you could select and just see a slideshow of the file, or photos chosen. Where is THAT?

ckerno

Reaction score
I use the Slideshow feature in File Explorer all the time. I have clients send me photos, I save them in a folder and I just want to see them quickly full screen. Here is how I fixed it in Windows 11:

1. Set "Windows Photo Viewer" to be the default app to open the file type (.jpg, .png, etc.)
    1. Right-click a picture file
    2. Open with
    3. Choose another app
    4. Select "Windows Photo Viewer" (might need to scroll list to find it)
    5. Check the box "Always use this app to open..."
    6. Click OK
      Windows_Photo_Viewer_default.png
  2. From now on, Windows Photo Viewer will open that file type. (You can always change it back to another app, or use right-click, "Open With" to open a single file in another app.)

3. Select all the photos you want in the slideshow

4. Right click the first photo you want to start the slideshow with

5. Click "Open"
    Right-click_first_photo.png
  6. Click "Play Slideshow" button on the toolbar (round center button on toolbar below the photo)
    Windows_Photo_Viewer_Play_Slideshow.png
  7. Slideshow plays full screen

Last edited:

JimE

Reaction score
FYI, this is much better/easier/free:

My One Photo Viewer review...

First, let me say, I have waited decades for this: a simple, fast, intelligent SlideShow viewer!! Thank you!

Although your free version was more than sufficient for my needs, I happily bought your pro version,
but I think you should also allow for donations (by PayPal, etc)

While being frustrated that Windows 11 removed the Classic Photo Viewer and slideshow option from File Explorer,
I happened upon this app after hours of research!!

Ask a Question