ABCs

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've held my tongue up until now.
What the hell does Microsoft have against putting things in alphabetical order.
I put up with it throughout Windows 10, hoping that at some point someone would notice that it would enhance navigability exponentially if they would simply arrange everything within "Settings" alphabetically, both the left hand pane (navigation pane) and the right pane (details pane).
It just seems logical to me, so I beefed about it in the Feedback Hub and IF you have the spare time, I've provided a link so, if you were so inclined you might upvote it.

IF it's supposed to be a replacement for the Control Panel, then... It would be nice if it had similar functionality.
You open All Control Panel Items (small icons) and it's arranged A thru W

Capture.jpg

davehc

Reaction score
Never given it much of a thought. I must confess that, even with earlier OS's, my first action was to right click the screen and "Personalise" and then "Display Settings".. After that, pretty much at random.
I suspect they are arranged in what their programmers se as the order of priority:rolleyes::unsure:
After fiddling with most items, one by one, in the Control Panel , even with Windows 10, I rarely looked in there again.
For that same reason, not really associated with your post, I guess, I am not to happy with there slow but steady erosion of the Control Panel. Most items now, when selected, take you into the Settings.

Maybe they will alter it eventually (small hope).
There are several things, must be my old age, which are not serious, but irritate me every time I encounter them.
One small example. Right clicking the start, gives this option as the last item "desktop" What a complete waste of space,when you are indeed, already on the desktop!

1637995647757.png

Last edited:

rfsmith7

Reaction score
There are several things, must be my old age, which are not serious, but irritate me every time I encounter them.
One small example. Right clicking the start, gives this option as the last item "desktop" What a complete waste of space when you are indeed, already on the desktop!

View attachment 367
What the desktop option does is drop all active windows to the taskbar. I use it now and then. Should really say "show desktop".

davehc

Reaction score
I am aware of that, but still , the object escapes me. My own thoughts, but, f I had open items on the desktop, it was that is how I wanted them. But, on fact, I guess it is MS's alternative to the Win Logo +D

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I never expected this simple semi-rant to go so badly off course.
WinKey + D still works as well as the far right edge of the taskbar if you turn it on
Capture.jpg

I was simply hoping that perhaps others might agree that the current "Settings" environment, lacks a certain rational and logical structure, which I believe could and would be enhanced by simply organizing the contents (items / icons) alphabetically.
BUT
Perhaps the fact that it has gone off course, explains a lot.

davehc

Reaction score
:mad::unsure:My fault. Apologies. I grabbed an opportunity for another rant