Base Device not installed

Edwrd10

Reaction score
After I upgraded my Dell Tablet to Win 11 device manager shows a 'Base Device' is not installed. Everything seems to work fine. I also re-installed all the latest drivers. and went to Dell page and ran their driver support software which no updates necessary. I am totally in the dark as to what this 'Base Device' is. Does anyone know what this 'Base Device' is, or why this error shows in Device Manager?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the Start button (Windows Logo) on taskbar and choose Device Manager from the menu.
In Device Manager select then right click the problem device and choose Properties.
In the Properties window switch to the Details Tab
Use the drop down arrow in the text box to switch to Hardware Ids
Select the top line in the Value box, right click it and select copy
It'll look something like this
USB\VID_0A5C&PID_21E8&REV_0112
Though not exactly
Paste that info into your next post and we'll try to help.

Edwrd10

Reaction score
The Unknown device says, 'Base System Device' Hardware IDs:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1911&SUBSYS_08E91028&REV_00
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1911&SUBSYS_08E91028
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1911&CC_088000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1911&CC_0880

There were four lines of Hardware IDs so I copied them all. I hope this helps.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Best I can determine is that, that is pointing towards an Intel "System" device..... Very likely a chipset driver.
AND perhaps something specific to the "SkyLake" Gen Processor and related sensors.
It may be an older driver possibly Going back a year or more 2018 - 2020.

My best advice is go here https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us?app=drivers
Plug in your specific Service Tag Number from the back or bottom of your device and look for their offerings.

Second best advice is to check Windows Update -> Advanced Options -> Optional updates -> Driver Updates
It would not surprise me to see it listed there.

capture.png

Edwrd10

Reaction score
Best I can determine is that, that is pointing towards an Intel "System" device..... Very likely a chipset driver.
AND perhaps something specific to the "SkyLake" Gen Processor and related sensors.
It may be an older driver possibly Going back a year or more 2018 - 2020.

My best advice is go here https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us?app=drivers
Plug in your specific Service Tag Number from the back or bottom of your device and look for their offerings.

Second best advice is to check Windows Update -> Advanced Options -> Optional updates -> Driver Updates
It would not surprise me to see it listed there.

View attachment 151
That was It! I went to the Advanced tab and listed was the very driver listed above, Intel - System - 7/18/1968, I Installed it and the Base System Device is now installed and Device Manager is not showing any errors now. Thank You for your help! It was sitting there in Windows Updates- Optional Updates.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad it worked out and thanks for the follow-up to let us know how you managed to resolve your issue.

A bit surprised, as I provided the image, not as a suggestion but rather an example of a few older drivers that were available on my machine that I had chosen not to install. Would never have expected that, that driver would have worked for you.
STILL
Glad you managed to fix it.

Ask a Question