Black screen on startup

Mickey52

Reaction score
When I start up my laptop, I see my picture but the screen is black. After hit the enter key twice the screen is black.

I use the alternate / control / delete keys and I indicate I want to shut down after a few seconds I have my normal graphical screen with all I usually have. This does not occur every time.

I have closing the lid power settings as hibernate and have tried sleep. Today changed to shut down wanting to see if this cures the issue

I am running Win11 Home fully up dated and my laptop is Dell Inspiron 15-7586 fully up date. Running Intel Driver and support its fully updated.

Any ideals why I am having issues?

Solution
may have fixed it myself changed power option closing lid on my laptop pc.
1) Changed to complete shutdown cycled five times.
2) changed setting to hibernate
No black screen for 5 days.

RogerOver

Reaction score
After hit the enter key twice the screen is black

Did you correctly remove a - previously set and then removed - password ? I mean when you hit the key twice, this seems to indicate that you don't have a password set. Since recently, Microsoft asks you - once in a month or so - to chose a new password (and you said it does not happen all the time). But normally, there should be a message asking you to reset the password.
Try option 3 here to seeif it it helps: https://www.top-password.com/blog/5-ways-to-remove-the-administrator-password-in-windows-10/
Do the same for the User: "net user your use name *" (without quotation marks, but don't forget the star).
Then restart !

Last edited:

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Just to test: type "netplwiz" into Run or Search. Open the little app and go to advanced options.
Untick the box at the bottom of the window, ok and restart. See if the black screen is gone.
Then reset the tick and try again.

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
did as you said there was no Cltr-control-delete checked. I have changed my power option on closing lid to shut down. Since doing that (4) times restart no black screen. That may have fixed it but I don't understand why it happen at all only thing I can think of two updates ago this started, has to be with that update?

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
I tried closing lid with shut down to slow startup went to hibernate. faster startup so far, no black screen, Original setting was sleep. that setting it drained my battery.

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
may have fixed it myself changed power option closing lid on my laptop pc.
1) Changed to complete shutdown cycled five times.
2) changed setting to hibernate
No black screen for 5 days.

Vote:
Solution

Ask a Question