Brother Printer Driver Causing Issue

GracieM

Reaction score
Running Win 11 21H2 and rec'd Memory Integrity Error. The model of my printer is MFC7840 DW. Found the problematic device drivers and all but one were for obsolete hardware I don't even own anymore. I used pnputil command and got rid of the offending software, but for BrUsblb.sys. That's the only thing left. In checking in Device Manager, I disabled the fax/scanner that no longer worked because of some problem with the OS and the lack of an updated driver. The printer itself works fine so I really don't want to screw it up as it's a real workhorse and has been so for many years.

However, I'm trying my best to figure out what to do next. It might not be a fixable issue, but I have several identifiers for the driver. The one from Brother appears to be prnbrc11.inf, 4/22/2009 10.0.171191. My printer test page shows Driver Type as Type 3-User Mode, Driver version 1.8.0.0. I went to the Brother site and looked for a driver for Win 11; there's a 64-bit driver for Win10, but I don't know nor can I tell how old it is. It might be that there is a Microsoft printer driver rather than a Brother driver because there are several entires, but I can't tell what each one does.

Device Manager tells me I have the proper driver. Can anyone advise what to do next so I can fix the Memory Integrity Error. The printer needs a software update that may not be happening. I looked for some support at the Brother site, but I guess my hardware is too old. TIA.

davehc

Reaction score
I had a similar problem, but not quite as extreme as yours. My final solution was to reinstall the printer in compatibility mode for Windows 7!

I made sure I had all the drivers ready in the installation folder - both the latest and any available for later Windows - even windows 11 if poss.

GracieM

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the idea. I wonder though will this procedure allow me to fix the Memory Integrity error? If not, then I might just let the issue stand because my PC and the printer do work okay. OTOH, did you have a fax/scanner that no longer worked and using this method got it to function?

davehc

Reaction score
I did indeed. Don't use the fax, but it was great to get the scanner back.

GracieM

Reaction score
I went to Brother, got the latest set of Win10 full driver pkg and I couldn't even get the thing to install, compatibility mode and otherwise. I got to the part where the program tells me to wait while it finishes the installation, and it never did. Fortunately, I had created a restore point before all this fooling around and my PC is back the way it was. All is well even tho' I used up 3-4 hrs of my life, for a 10 year old piece of hardware no less. ;-) Have a great day and thank you.

Ask a Question