Can I delay Windows 11 until I want it after the "Ready to install Windows 11" after a restart?

Heathsideboy

Reaction score
I downloaded Windows 11, which is ready to install. So, I am at the stage where if I restart my PC, Windows 11 will start to install itself. Can I stop it from installing after this stage for now? I know I can schedule a time, but I want to do it when I am ready and not choose one of its scheduling dates. Thanks.

HB

Bighorn

Reaction score
Haven't tried to delay it but have used the MCT/Media Creation Tool to get an .iso file used for creating the bootable DVD [R not RW] disc and creating the bootable USB Thumb drive. What I've seen is Upgrading to Win11 is a 'streaming' install from the Microsoft servers, once started it will remain available until finished regardless of rebooting/restarting the computer.

A side note, I'm having no issues with Win11, most changes are simply in how things are shown and locations of features are different such as the right- of the Start button has more on it than Win10 does, some things from the Control Panel. I got a new Notebook in Oct. '21 [right after Win11 was released] and a new Desktop in Apr. '22 because none of my computers would Upgrade and I needed to know more for the time a client would have an issue. Most things that work in Win10 will work in Win11 and usually a bit faster. The biggest issue is for folks to keep an open mind about the changes, just like we've had to do for a couple 3 decades.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
I am now a contented win 11 user. Initially, when it happened to me, I restoted an earler image,(made with Macrium.
Eventually I was tempted and surrended

Vote:

Heathsideboy

Reaction score
I went to settings to the “Schedule the restart,” and under the “Schedule a time” where it said

“we’ll finish installing updates when it’s convenient for you. If your PC is unavailable at your scheduled time, Windows will automatically find a good time for the restart.”

Instead of picking a time I actually turned the slider button to the off position. I’m hoping it will not download Windows 11 until I turn this back on again. That’s what I’m hoping for, anyway.

Addendum: I restarted, and it has not downloaded Windows 11. Can anyone tell me if this is safe?
If you click settings (Start menu > settings > update & security. Then at the top, click on schedule the restart. I have set the toggle button to the off position. Will it be okay to leave it like that until I am ready to install Windows 11?

HB

Last edited:

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
It may be safe but it may also prevent getting Win10 updates. The next scheduled updates are on Patch Tuesday, second Tuesday of the month, just keep an eye on it.

Vote:

Ask a Question