Can we get back the windows 10 style split start menu and customization options for pinned apps?

ellie

Reaction score
during Covid I bought a windows 10 PC for the first time since switching to Mac a decade ago. after finally getting used to 10 Microsoft announced 11 would be coming out. after spending a few days of my PC practically force feeding the "upgrade" to 11 to me I reluctantly allowed it. after the initial update I found that a lot of the features that I grew accustomed to and found incredibly useful regarding the start menu and the customizable layout of the pinned apps are nowhere to be found. altered beyond recognition and even unpinned the apps I had pinned. now after having spent some time with it I would very much appreciate regaining the control we once had over their layout and not needing to scroll through pinned apps to find the one i am looking for. with windows 10 i had all the pinned apps shown on the sidebar of the start menu, and only needed to open it to see them. this new start menu seems inferior to the one that was present in the previous version. at the very least it would be great if we could organize the scrolled tabs so that we can separate the pinned apps per the tab of similar apps, such as games, creation tools, office apps, settings, stores.... etc. without them trying to save space and forcibly pushing the games up next to other apps??

Garyw

Reaction score
Paste this search into your browser search bar

is there a windows 10 start menu for windows 11

This results in a number of hits for you to sort through. I suggest you make a (backup or image or clone) of your current drive before experimenting.

tannenba

Reaction score
I agree, I do programming and had apps grouped in the pinned area, now? Nada. Between this and the lousy taskbar, the useability of my computer went to nothing.

Berton

Reaction score
Yep, seems to be a lousy Taskbar, guess that's why Macintosh OS X [maybe even newer macOS] has its Dock [centered at bottom of screen] and a new edition of Linux are using it.

Ask a Question