Cannot use installation on my new HP 15t-DY200

csphelps

Reaction score
This computer is very new (August 2021) and have upgraded the memory from 8Gb to 32Gb and the NVME m.2 from the 512Gb to a Phison 4Tb. The NVME is the only drive in the system. The BIOS recognizes everything with no problems and when I do a recovery from the HP recovery media everything works as it should. I have no problems running the recovered Windows and Linux Ubuntu on separate partitions, as long as I use the Windows recovery media. Linux Ubuntu installs from it’s install media perfectly on the computer with no issues, recognizing everything.

When I do a clean install with Windows 10, it used to allow me to direct it to where the drivers were (I couldn’t get the Win10 media to work either) but Windows 11 does not allow me to do that now. I have tried injecting the drivers for the Phison (they use Sabrent drivers) directly into the installation but that doesn’t work either.

When I do the installation, at the beginning it tries formatting the drive without asking where I want the installation to be put or allowing me to change the partitions like it’s getting directions from an answer file. This media is created directly from an ISO download from Microsoft’s website and the hash matches with no issues. I have not included any answer file with the media so I don’t know where it’s getting it’s information to proceed without any secondary input. I have read in other forums that the problem may lie with Intel’s Rapid Storage Technology drivers and it not recognizing the drive because of that, but I’m not real sure. I have tried injecting these into the media as well with no luck.

Microsoft and it’s vendors put so much crap in with the installation that I would really like to do a clean install with a minimal amount of crap that’s included with the clean install, but I’m at a loss with what to do. I’m about at the point where I’m going to drop Microsoft altogether if I can’t do this.

I’m uploading the specs from HWiNFO.

Attachments

• 15t-dy20.txt
    83.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

csphelps

Reaction score
This is the error that I get when I try to do a clean install of windows 11, on a windows 11 machine, that ships with windows 11.

This a new ISO directly from microsoft with no answer file associated with the install, but saying there's an error with the answer file.

There are no options to format, re-partition, select drives, nothing. It goes straight to trying to format the drive and comes up with this error.

It has been doing this through all of the developer builds since win11 was first released in beta through the Dev Channel. I informed microsoft of the problem but I was ignored. I'm at my wits end on dealing with problems like this and am finally cutting the microsoft umbilical altogether on all my current machines, even if they don't run the current version of Windows 11. I will be completely moving to Linux Mint and not miss all the headache I have had to deal with running their software. At least I know that it runs on everything I have, works on everything right out of the box and natively supports all my hardware, even the new stuff with the Edge version. It uses much less resources and is 1000 times more secure than anything microsoft puts out. It even finds all my peripherals, natively, without any added effort, like my networked printers, no loading of extra drivers or programs.

I'm done...

Sayonara microsoft. After 40 years of being a loyal customer, you've driven me into the arms of Linux and made me regret having stayed with you for this long. Peace

Attachments

• Install_error.jpg
    Install_error.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Callistemon

Reaction score
Which tool are you using to apply the ISO to the USB pen drive? If it's balenaEtcher, that is not compatible with Windows ISOs, so it is very common to have "A required media device driver is missing" errors. The solution is to use Rufus, and use it in GPT mode for UEFI (non-CSM).

csphelps

Reaction score
For a USB I mostly use Rufus 3.13p in Windows or WoeUSB-ng on Linux, but it doesn’t matter what I use I get the same results. Everything gets the same results, ISO to USB, YUMI, it doesn’t matter. I burn the ISO to a DVD and I get the same results. Either way the same error message shows up.

nocturnalpage52

Reaction score
hi i had a similar issue with my sabrent rocket nvme drive and win 11 i tried a number of ways to get it to install on the first partition only which didn't work then i formatted the drive and reset the partitions using mini tool partition pro and it worked win11 installed on partition 1 only and i now have linux light on the second

Callistemon

Reaction score
That doesn't require a proprietary third-party tool.
While in the installer, press Shift + F10
diskpart
select disk 0 It is Disk 0 in the screenshot. Be sure to select the correct number to avoid unwanted destruction.
clean WARNING: All files on the selected disk number, across all partitions, will be destroyed.
convert gpt
exit
Close Command Prompt and click Refresh
Choose "Unallocated Space on Disk 0"

csphelps

Reaction score
Like I said in the OP, "the problem may lie with Intel’s Rapid Storage Technology drivers and it not recognizing the drive", hence the main problem is that the installation is not recognizing the drive as existing, if i could get the drive to work with Windows using these or similar methods that give the same results, I would have. Nothing I do changes that first problem. Until that is corrected it won't recognize disk 0 as being the NVME M.2 and not a peripheral drive. I have already tried using the diskpart trick and it doesn't recognize the drive as being available (even though windows is installed on the first part of the drive with it's myriad of partitions), so... **sorry**. I've tried using the ADK to inject all of the needed drivers, both Sabrent and Intel's RST drivers from the vendors into both the Windows 10 and 11 installations and... nothing. Up to the last few builds of Windows 10, through all the Dev builds since public release, on up to and including the current, I have had the same problem trying to install Windows on this rig away from installing from the HP recovery. I informed Microsoft of the problem of not being able to do a "clean" (eyes roll) Windows install, but they never contacted me for further review. More suggestions please.

csphelps

Reaction score
With the suggestions so far, the problems are:

1. I should not have to get a third party software (ironically requiring Windows to be installed in order to run) in order to install a (supposedly) clean (but still including PUP, vis-à-vis, crapware) version of Windows, on a computer that was designed to run Windows, on a drive and controller that are verified Windows hardware, and has Windows 11 installed on it when trying to REinstall completely apart from the factory disk's installation. The recovery software from the manufacturer works where I can do the installation of Windows with all the accompanying extra crap that comes with it. I want to get away from having to reformat an entire 4Tb M.2 SDD to do that kind of installation. I have a computer with Windows, and it's myriad of other partitions it needs, on the first terabyte of the drive (there's 4Tb) and have Linux installed on three other partitions that get used on a regular basis more than I use Windows but I have to have it installed because of certain programs not available in Linux. If I have Windows installed already it shouldn't have to erase everything by reformatting the entire space on the disk, just those relevant to it's operation and leave the Ext4 Linux partitions alone. Just because it doesn't read those drives doesn't mean they are available to reformat or invalid. This is not an option.

2. The drive partition is already formatted as GPT when the original recovery was done and it installed Windows 11. One of the main problems with the diskpart recommendation is there's so little time from the moment the installation starts to where it begins trying to do the install. I tried getting the cmd prompt right away, but it wouldn't recognize the diskpart as having occurred. I tried doing it again after the error message (p.s. there's no refresh, the only option is to select the OK button. All other actions get the "wrong button" error.) but it wouldn't recognize diskpart as taking place there either. The installation program used to come to a certain point and would ask where on the disk you wanted to install it on, just select the drive, select and/or create the partitions, then you could say, "Okay, install". Now, none of that occurs. I guess it assumes that the drive is completely empty and unformatted because it would not recognize a Windows formatted drive even with Windows 11 installed on it. Go figure?

This is exactly why I am going over to Linux. None of the headaches associated with Windows arising clear from the beginning of DOS. No crapware to deal with, installations of almost any program is a breeze, installing all the required associated programs it needs as well, (along with deleting it and all associated ones not used by other programs) and it works on just about any hardware out there, even something for the dinosaurs. I'm just tired of almost forty years of these MS headaches,

Last edited:

nocturnalpage52

Reaction score
With the suggestions so far, the problems are:

1. I should not have to get a third party software (ironically requiring Windows to be installed in order to run) in order to install a (supposedly) clean (but still including PUP, vis-à-vis, crapware) version of Windows, on a computer that was designed to run Windows, on a drive and controller that are verified Windows hardware, and has Windows 11 installed on it when trying to REinstall completely apart from the factory disk's installation. The recovery software from the manufacturer works where I can do the installation of Windows with all the accompanying extra crap that comes with it. I want to get away from having to reformat an entire 4Tb M.2 SDD to do that kind of installation. I have a computer with Windows, and it's myriad of other partitions it needs, on the first terabyte of the drive (there's 4Tb) and have Linux installed on three other partitions that get used on a regular basis more than I use Windows but I have to have it installed because of certain programs not available in Linux. If I have Windows installed already it shouldn't have to erase everything by reformatting the entire space on the disk, just those relevant to it's operation and leave the Ext4 Linux partitions alone. Just because it doesn't read those drives doesn't mean they are available to reformat or invalid. This is not an option.

2. The drive partition is already formatted as GPT when the original recovery was done and it installed Windows 11. One of the main problems with the diskpart recommendation is there's so little time from the moment the installation starts to where it begins trying to do the install. I tried getting the cmd prompt right away, but it wouldn't recognize the diskpart as having occurred. I tried doing it again after the error message (p.s. there's no refresh, the only option is to select the OK button. All other actions get the "wrong button" error.) but it wouldn't recognize diskpart as taking place there either. The installation program used to come to a certain point and would ask where on the disk you wanted to install it on, just select the drive, select and/or create the partitions, then you could say, "Okay, install". Now, none of that occurs. I guess it assumes that the drive is completely empty and unformatted because it would not recognize a Windows formatted drive even with Windows 11 installed on it. Go figure?

This is exactly why I am going over to Linux. None of the headaches associated with Windows arising clear from the beginning of DOS. No crapware to deal with, installations of almost any program is a breeze, installing all the required associated programs it needs as well, (along with deleting it and all associated ones not used by other programs) and it works on just about any hardware out there, even something for the dinosaurs. I'm just tired of almost forty years of these MS headaches,
sorry to take so long to reply this is why i had to use third party software to partion the drive if you want to duel boot as win11 wants to take over the whole drive i also had to install a brake between partions otherwise win 11 writes straight over the second partion ?

csphelps

Reaction score
sorry to take so long to reply this is why i had to use third party software to partion the drive if you want to duel boot as win11 wants to take over the whole drive i also had to install a brake between partions otherwise win 11 writes straight over the second partion ?
In response to this statement i will quote myself in my first response:
I have a computer with Windows, and it's myriad of other partitions it needs, on the first terabyte of the drive (there's 4Tb) and have Linux installed on three other partitions that get used on a regular basis more than I use Windows but I have to have it installed because of certain programs not available in Linux.

I cannot simply repartition the entire drive because:

1) this is a 4Tb drive, there are other partitions on the m.2 NVME drive that can't be erased, which have other OSs I regularly use. Windows shouldn't assume it's the only OS going on a drive and by assuming this they are essentially cutting their own throat by their hubris. I might understand if it was something like a small 256Gb SSD, but considering how big SSD drives are becoming and how great other OSs are becoming (cleanly surpassing Windows in every way) on their OSs compatibility to work on machines that are supposedly certified to work with Windows, without the cost in processing cycles that Windows demands, operating much more cleanly and with exceptional graphics.

[Here's my rant]
The only reason Windows is doing as well as it is, is that it is holding the computer industry by the balls, forcing them to put their OS (and only their OS) on new machines entering the market. Windows isn't even their big money-maker. Office and money from holding smart phone patents are their prime sources of income. Until consumers demand better quality and companies to offer more selections for new machines, MS won't be pushed off their high horse and get to be as good as they used to be. Only if they really feel challenged by having their bottom line reduced. Most especially big businesses demanding better quality and better security for their money. People are getting tired of being forced to pay for apps they have no use for, even if it's just loaded for advertising, having to uninstall 50 programs before Windows becomes usable for anyone outside of the don't-know-any-better, consumer. If Windows had a base install version without all the extra crap, just enough to run the OS, for power users to modify for their own use, they should open up their source code for review and allow for modifications. In doing so the system's security would increase a hundred fold and those power users would have a field day. Better and better variations of Windows would evolve, until it became what consumers had hoped it would have become all these years so far. I would applaud and have no use for Linux. Computer companies should offer lines with no OS at all, shipping with a USB with whatever setup the customer wanted. MS would have to make sure their software would have to work on whatever the consumer threw at it or the company offering it would be forced to give an alternative. Use that to show what the consumer world really wants. Until that day Windows will slowly lose in consumer confidence, and market share. They need to port Office to work on Linux. There are pay-to-use applications on Linux. Not many, but there are. Unless we demand more in Windows of what we can get for free from someone else that does the same job, sometimes better.

2) the installation goes directly into setup as if an answer file is being used and no answer file has been added to the disk, not giving me a chance to select the partition on which to install Windows, like it did in previous iterations. This is unacceptable because of the partitions in paragraph #1.

3) the OS installation does not even see the m.2 NVME drive at all so unless this program not only formats the drive but installs the drivers not being loaded by the installation in order to recognize the drive controller and the drive itself, then I don't see how this can work. Again I refer to paragraph #1.

So, to sum it up, reformatting the entire drive will not work.

Now, before anyone suggests simply doing a restore from within Windows Setup, that would a) negate the use of an installation disk and b) assume a working installation of Windows.

So, assume Windows can't be booted into for some reason and the other parts of the drive contains thousands of various unpublished original material running on various Linux distros that can't be removed.

As it is, Windows is the loser. All the other OSs I use will install to whichever partition I tell it to from the installation media and will recognize all the hardware "out of the box", if not an easy fix can be found by describing the problem in a forum for that OS (hint...hint...) and the makers of that distro (who monitor the forum), or a dedicated user, comes up with a solution within a short amount of time or work with the user to get a work-around.

Last edited:

Ask a Question