Desktop's are linked how to unlink

Kee Kim

Reaction score
I am using Windows 11 pro Insider Preview build 22199.
My desktop1 and desktop2 are linked, shows all same items, delete one on desktop deletes on the other desktop too.
Therefore, these desktops are not very usefull. How these desktops could be unlinked?

Sir Vagus Mus

Reaction score
My desktop1 and desktop2 are linked, shows all same items, delete one on desktop deletes on the other desktop too.
Therefore, these desktops are not very usefull. How these desktops could be unlinked?
A place to start would be to check your sync settings. Go into Windows Settings> then type Sync Your Settings. Uncheck *Other Windows Settings*

Also check out the solution found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...settings-deebcba2-5bc0-4e63-279a-329926955708

Also here: https://www.ubackup.com/articles/unsync-onedrive-from-pc.html

Vote:

Kee Kim

Reaction score

Vote:

Kee Kim

Reaction score
I get the feeling you haven't explained the problem well enough. What are you trying to do? Are these separate computers, dual monitors, what are we talking about?
"Kee Kim"
I wanted to use the two different desktops in one computer, but the two are linked and show the same icons. deleting an icon on one would delete to the other desktop too.

Vote:

Garyw

Reaction score
Are you referring to multiple folders labeled desktopFolder Desktop.jpg

or multiple virtual desktops Virtual Desktops.jpg

or something else?

Vote:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wanted to use the two different desktops in one computer
IF and that's a big if, as I'm not certain at all about my understanding of the issue....

You are talking about multiple "virtual desktops" facilitated through the use of the Task View feature then yes....
They are "linked" as you say, in so much as they begin as duplicates of the C:\Users\YourUserName\Desktop folder
You do not get a second such folder through the use of a second or multiple virtual desktops, so....
The contents of that folder can be and is influenced by the addition or subtraction of items you choose to add or delete or move about.

The actual function of the Virtual Desktop feature is to enhance productivity in that they allow you to have multiple programs opened on one desktop and multiple OTHER programs opened on the second.
Some folks find it pretty handy
On "Desktop 1" open a browser (snap it to the left), open your mail program (snap it to the right)
On "Desktop 2" open MS Word (snap it to the left), open MS Excel (snap it to the right)

Voilà I'm Mr. Productive.​

Vote:

Ask a Question