did someone find a convenient way to stop Edge from hijacking all:
- 7z
- bmp
- jpg/jpeg
- pdf
- png
- svg
- xml
file associations every time there is an Edge update (which are coming very often now) ?

The only way I see is to disallow "System" (or even "Everyone") to access the file associations in the registry.
But then there will very likely be problems with updates of the applications I use for these file associations (7-zip, Acrobat, Inkscape, XNView), etc !

Thanks

Last edited:

Bighorn

Reaction score
It's the file associations and most times when one is changed I just right-click and choose Open with then pick a program I have installed that can handle the file type. As to the .pdf, Edge and Firefox are including support for the type for viewing/reading but frequently need to use a program for editing. The choices as to Always use the program or use it Just once is on that panel. The Always allows just double-clicking a file to open in the chosen program, the Just once allows choosing a different program without changing the association.

1679866680938.png

RogerOver

Reaction score
Thanks, I knew that.
The problem is that Edge is highjacking these file associations (for what reason ?) and that Edge updates are now coming at least weekly !

I don't use Edge at all, have even installed MSEdgeRedirect, but is seems that Microsoft is - intentionnally - integrating Edge so deeply (rooted) into the Windows system that it will be the same as with Internet Explorer and Windows 98.

So I do not really dare to ignore the updates (for security reasons).

davehc

Reaction score
Could you give a linkexample, so I can try it. I use edge and Chrome and have not , yt, had your experience.

Ask a Question