Explorer keeps crashing since 2H22 update

james_uk

Reaction score
Hi, since the 2H22 update, my explorer keeps crashing anytime i try to open 'This PC' or File Explorer.

Nothing shows and then the screen just kind of blinks, then it takes my back to the desktop.

I did read there's an issue with Nvidia, which my laptop does have a Geforce card, but does it cause this issue?

I have run SFC / Scannow which didn't fix anything, and also my Geforce card and Experience app are fully up to date.

Regards

James

Reaction score
Hi, since the 2H22 update, my explorer keeps crashing anytime i try to open 'This PC' or File Explorer.

Nothing shows and then the screen just kind of blinks, then it takes my back to the desktop.

I did read there's an issue with Nvidia, which my laptop does have a Geforce card, but does it cause this issue?

I have run SFC / Scannow which didn't fix anything, and also my Geforce card and Experience app are fully up to date.

Regards

James
Same issue. Everything else works, but double-clicking on a folder on the desktop crashes explorer. Opening a command prompt and starting explorer by typing "explorer.exe" has the same effect. The event viewer (Windows Logs > Application) says this:
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.22621.457, time stamp: 0x267253ef
Faulting module name: Windows.UI.FileExplorer.dll, version: 10.0.22621.521, time stamp: 0x381b5366
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000016935
Faulting process id: 0x0x2C74
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D8D5691F0A9FAA
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.FileExplorer.dll
Report Id: bf17d452-926f-4c2b-891d-c9de676b9811
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Vote:
Reaction score

Regards

James

Same issue. Everything else works, but double-clicking on a folder on the desktop crashes explorer. Opening a command prompt and starting explorer by typing "explorer.exe" has the same effect. The event viewer (Windows Logs > Application) says this:
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.22621.457, time stamp: 0x267253ef
Faulting module name: Windows.UI.FileExplorer.dll, version: 10.0.22621.521, time stamp: 0x381b5366
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000016935
Faulting process id: 0x0x2C74
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D8D5691F0A9FAA
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.FileExplorer.dll
Report Id: bf17d452-926f-4c2b-891d-c9de676b9811
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
I rolled back from 22H2 (22681.608) to 21H2 (22000.978) and everything works again. Just another crap poorly-tested update from Microsoft. Perhaps by the time they offer 23H2 they will have got 22H2 working so I can finally upgrade to it.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Microsoft do admit to some unexpected faults on certain machines and recommended a rollback - no real excuse.
They are trying to cope with a mass of different computers worldwide, and, surely, some problems must slip by.
I do wonder, though, if those with the problem machines were on the insider program and did, they, at an earlier stage, provide and intelligent feedback on encountered problems.

The old Beta testing program, with tested and chosen volunteers, was more direct and helpful, but gone now.

Vote:

mxkt

Reaction score
Hello! I had this same problem a few months ago and rolled back the update and have turned off updates since. I am now experiencing other issues (I think perhaps from not doing updates for so long?) and I was curious if anyone who had the File Explorer issue has any info on if they fixed it/have upgraded since this thread was last updated and is no longer having the issue? I checked the log of known and resolved issues for the update on the Microsoft website and it has no mention of this issue in the first place.

Vote:

Gerry

Reaction score
Ciao, sono nuovo e ad oggi io ho esattamente lo stesso problema, in più facendo l'aggiornamento cumulativo di 22H2 al riavvio il PC si blocca andando nel boot del PC con l'errore "impossibile leggere memoria di boot", risultato devo ripristinare il PC da un immagine ma ora gli aggiornamenti automatici mi installa in automaticamente l'aggiornamento 22H2 che non voglio.
Come posso bloccare questo aggiornamento GRAZIE

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hello mxkt,

sounds like a driver issue to me too.
Did you try to uninstall your display driver (don't worry, there will normally be a basic display driver left; you won't perhaps have the right scren resolution, but that's all): https://www.microcenter.com/tech_ce...s-in-windows-10?lat=49.3715456&long=6.1571072 and then install the windows update, before re-installing your display driver ?

Microsoft apparently also recommends to temporarily uninstall third party tools linked to the File Explorer like; ExplorerPatcher, Openshell, TranslucentTB, StartAllBack, etc; see for instance here (in German): https://www.deskmodder.de/blog/2023...installation-der-kb5022913-zu-deinstallieren/

Last edited:

Vote:

mxkt

Reaction score
Hello mxkt,

sounds like a driver issue to me too.
Did you try to uninstall your display driver (don't worry, there will normally be a basic display driver left; you won't perhaps have the right scren resolution, but that's all): https://www.microcenter.com/tech_ce...s-in-windows-10?lat=49.3715456&long=6.1571072 and then install the windows update, before re-installing your display driver ?

Microsoft apparently also recommends to temporarily uninstall third party tools linked to the File Explorer like; ExplorerPatcher, Openshell, TranslucentTB, StartAllBack, etc; see for instance here (in German): https://www.deskmodder.de/blog/2023...installation-der-kb5022913-zu-deinstallieren/
Hello and thank you for the response!
I just wanted to clarify that you think the driver issue caused the File Explorer to crash after the 22H2 update? I don't know a lot about fixing things as my pc was a gift from a friend who usually fixes things for me and made my frankenstein build as he calls it, hahah. The problem I'm currently having is that my Windows Defender has stopped working and won't restart, I just get an error. I was fine delaying the updates but I'm curious if delaying updates for several months now could cause Defender to stop functioning.
As a follow up question, if you have rolled back an update once before, will it still let you roll it back a second time if problems still persist?

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi, did you try to reset Windows Security ?
See m'y contribution from Tuesday at 9.37 a.m. (with Screenshot) here:

Vote:

MERRi_

Reaction score
Good news everyone, we managed to bypass the crashes on our test workstations.

We simply disabled Windows Search service (WSearch), then the file explorer worked fine again. No file research on the other hand.

Put the service in startup mode :"disabled" so it won't turn on on reboots.

Does it work for you too ? ?

Vote:

Ask a Question