Filemanger problems with update version 22H2 Insider Preview (10.0.22581.100)(KB5013283)

Reaction score
Just today I got an Insider update version 22H2. Since the update, filemanger looks very different. There is no address bar and no column names/titles. I've been looking around through the filemanger menus and can find how to sort the columns without the headings (but so much harder than just clicking on the column title) but can't find a way to display the address bar. If you would be able to clue me in on how to get this to work, I'd really appreciate the help.

Pictures here: http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/pictures/Windows11_filemanager.html

=====================================================================

Edit: since the original post I realized that the ribbon bar is hiding the column headings. If I remove the ribbon, I then see everything other than the address bar. This is still a royal pain to have to remove the ribbon bar to see the column headings so I'm still looking for a better solution to this headache. And of course I still don't know how to view the address bar.

Pictures are updated to show what this looks like with the ribbon bar not displayed.

Attachments

• filemanager.png
    filemanager.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 3
  • updateHistory.png
    updateHistory.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 3
  • WindowsVersion.png
    WindowsVersion.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 3
  • NoRibbon.png
    NoRibbon.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

rfsmith7

Reaction score
I think you have applied the registry hack to have the classic ribbon displayed. That was always unofficial and it seems it no longer works with this version. I've removed the hack and make do with the standard ribbon. Seems turning on the ribbon overlays the top few lines.

Click the arrow top right next to the ? and it will then display the headings.

davehc

Reaction score
I have never queried the loss of the top bar. I am OK with the options as they are.

But, curiosity. I do not see a "?" on my windows explorer. ????
Later. It led to further investigation.

Found this and tried it - it works!
It unzips to two executable files. Fairly obvious which is which. One is the classic - which you wanted- the other returns to the Windows 11 default.

Attachments

• Switch_To_Classic_Or_Modern_File_Explorer.zip
    820 bytes · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you @davehc. I think I'll stick to the Windows 11 interface for now. Knowing that an update may override any changes I make and mess up the screen display has me leery about trying any other changes. I do appreciate your suggestion - thanks so much for your input.

I can't say that I'm happy with Windows 11 though. Normally I embrace new Windows versions but not this time. The rest of our PCs are staying at 10. My biggest peeve is that I can't place the task bar on the left side. I have a wide screen so it seems logical to have it there.

rfsmith7

Reaction score
@davehc - it's using this registry hack to revert to the "classic" explorer ribbon that causes the issue. With the vanilla or RP version, enabling the ribbon via the ^ arrow not only displays the full ribbon but also moves the display down to compensate. But with the 22581 beta version (22H2) opening the ribbon does not result in the display being moved down. Instead it just overlays the top part of the display.

davehc

Reaction score
@davehc - it's using this registry hack to revert to the "classic" explorer ribbon that causes the issue. With the vanilla or RP version, enabling the ribbon via the ^ arrow not only displays the full ribbon but also moves the display down to compensate. But with the 22581 beta version (22H2) opening the ribbon does not result in the display being moved down. Instead it just overlays the top part of the display.
This is an updated hack. written in the past couple of months.

1648574268773.png

rfsmith7

Reaction score
Still has the same problem with the 22581 level - extended ribbon overlays the headings. Works OK with 22000.xxx level.

rfsmith7

Reaction score
Hmm. I don’t see that in mine?
Which W11 version are you running? The current or RP (which is build 22000.xxx 21H1) or the latest Beta/Dev build which is 22581.200 21H2)? It's only on the latter that this problem occurs.

davehc

Reaction score
I am not on the insider program, But, of course, if that is where you are, then alternative problems can occur.

1648618501276.png

Ask a Question