Gave up on Windows 11, will be installing Windows 10

Greg

Reaction score
I got a new computer with an empty drive. After some thinking what to install, Win 10 or Win 11, I decided to try Win 11. Gosh, that was a bad decision. Installation went smoothly, with no problems, but once I got it up and running, I realized the design is rather counter-intuitive, and finding some commonly used commands and tools is quite a challenge. Worse of all, searching for help on a web gets you into a vicious cycle of suggestions, each referencing something which requires another question, and half of them simply does not match with what I have (e.g., reference to a non-existing directory or file). After struggling for a couple of days I decided to give up. I hope I will have a better luck with Windows 10. (My experience so far is Windows 7 which I was pretty happy with.)

tpl

Reaction score
I would agree that going from W7 straight to W11 is a noticeable jump.

davehc

Reaction score
I got a new computer with an empty drive. After some thinking what to install, Win 10 or Win 11, I decided to try Win 11. Gosh, that was a bad decision. Installation went smoothly, with no problems, but once I got it up and running, I realized the design is rather counter-intuitive, and finding some commonly used commands and tools is quite a challenge. Worse of all, searching for help on a web gets you into a vicious cycle of suggestions, each referencing something which requires another question, and half of them simply does not match with what I have (e.g., reference to a non-existing directory or file). After struggling for a couple of days I decided to give up. I hope I will have a better luck with Windows 10. (My experience so far is Windows 7 which I was pretty happy with.)
I suspect that whatever problems you had with 11, will be duplicated in 10. The two OS's are similar in many respects.
Windows 7 was/is, undoubtable a good OS. However, if you intend to progress, you may have future problems with compatibility of updated third party software and, in particular, drivers.

In your case, I would not recommend the unnecessary leap to windows 11, but do give 10 a try. Masses of help available on our companion and other windows 10 forums.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Not quite as long a leap, but I went from Win-8.1 on this old Acer SFF desktop, right to 11 in just one move. And this PC isn't even supposed to be Win-11 compatible. So much for "Supposed to be"....Eh?

Yes, there are definitely differences, but "Viva la Difference' ". I didn't see it as a road block, or something to be avoided, but a challenge to be overcome. So I first installed the new Open Classic Shell, which gave me a more familiar platform to work from. Then I installed a few necessary programs, like Firefox, so I could get on this forum. Then I got my Taskbar all squared away. And I installed even more programs. Everything works just like it did on 7 and 8.1.

Every day since then has been a learning experience. Go backward to a previous OS? OH, heck no!
Right now, I've got Win-11/Pro/64 running as smoothly and as user friendly as Win-7 ever was.
And, with much better driver support and program-ability.
Within the levels of 'Settings' in 11, I can do SO MUCH more to customize Windows than I ever could in 7 or even 8.1, which was my go-to OS for several years, after I was forces to give up Win-7.

I doubt that the OP is even reading this thread any more. And I wish that I could sit down with him, and show him just how friendly Win-11 can actually be. It will run virtually anything.
Cheers Mates
:cool:

Ask a Question