How can I remove the "Recommended" section on the Start Menu.

acerguy

Reaction score
On Windows 11 Start Menu there is the section called "Recommended." I know how to stop putting my last opened stuff in here of course, but I want to get rid of the section all together. It is cluttering up my Start Menu. I don't like it. I can't understand anyhow why someone would want to put the last photo they saw, or the last file they used etc on here!!. Please, how do I remove the "Recommended section? ... Cheers ..

davehc

Reaction score
Something nagging me also! But you can stop it putting anything in there, thrugh the settings.
My main irritant, though, is, having dne that, you are still left with an enormous white square, which you cannot get rid of.

Vote:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sure would be nice to reclaim that area for a more practical use, like extending the area for more app icons.
Seems like a nice place to apply some start menu customization?

Vote:

acerguy

Reaction score
Heeeys davehc and Trouble. You both always help me out so good. Thanks for the replies. Looks like we will have to wait until a bit later, it seems Windows 11 is a work in progress. Every time I look at my Start Menu, and get a little annoyed, I will get a coffee, or something much stronger.
Both take care.. Cheers ...

Vote:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
it seems Windows 11 is a work in progress.
To say the least.
Perusing the feedback hub filtered all the way down to start menu and we are definitely not alone in our interest in Start Menu customization and even some specific references to the "Recommended" area and the associated waste of space.
We'll just have to hide and watch

Vote:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Count me in for also wanting this fixed :). I've upvoted the suggestion on the Feedback hub (which has a lot of votes already), so I presume we'll see some movement on this!

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Maybe you are not with me:(
I have unpinned all of the apps. The complaint mainly, in this thread, is what to do with the big empty space afterwards

Vote:

P A U L

Reaction score
For a "Pro" version of Windows, I am rather surprised and irritated at the loss of a lot of customizable options that I enjoyed under Windows 7. Also the force feeding of some features/aesthetics that cannot be customized at all doesn't sit well. I hope changes are coming since the OS is still new...

Vote:

acerguy

Reaction score
Omg ,, it's now March 2022. I'm still waiting to be able to get rid of the big "Recommended" section on my Start Menu. Never mind ,, I pray for patience. Cheers ... Take care all. :(

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Download and install the latest explorer patcher.. Like you I dislike that emtpy square. The patcher does other things which you may not need, but, it gets rid of that square when you delete all themitems sitting in it and drag it closed

Vote:

Ask a Question