I was almost SCAMMED

Mailorder

Reaction score
I fell for a Scam and nearly gave away Personal banking details. My computer session was interupted by a repeating female voice telling me not to switch my computer off to solve the problem but to contact the telephone number that appeared on screen next to a Windows Defender heading.
Like a fool I rang the number and spoke to a very convincing male supportive of my problem which he could fix. He blamed a network issue which he could resolve by taking a list of actions and it would cost £339 .Alarm bells. I said no and switched my computer off.
No problems so far but I have noticed my Sticky notes contain the list of actions the scammer would take and cost as mentioned above.
Any advice on what I should do e.g delete the content of my sticky notes

Bighorn

Reaction score
I get those Ransomware things every now and then, only have had shut the computer down and wait awhile before starting over, so far no lasting issues. I don't use Sticky Notes but I would delete that and anything not wanted or of no further use.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Yeah. They have lists, looking for suckers. You have probably been taken iff the list, at least temporarily, as they are anxious to mobe on and find a victim

Vote:

Mailorder

Reaction score
Yeah. They have lists, looking for suckers. You have probably been taken iff the list, at least temporarily, as they are anxious to mobe on and find a victim
Thank you for your response .Here is one person who wont be a sucker again.
Once again many thanks

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Thank you for your response .Here is one person who wont be a sucker again.
Once again many thanks
A sadistic way to deal with it (Like i do;)), is to ask them questionsin friendly manner (?) What was your name again. Who did you say you workd for? Let me just check that etc.. they usually ring off in a hurry

Vote:

Mailorder

Reaction score
A sadistic way to deal with it (Like i do;)), is to ask them questionsin friendly manner (?) What was your name again. Who did you say you workd for? Let me just check that etc.. they usually ring off in a hurry
Thank you very much .If it should happen again your suggested way of dealing with it will be my template. No I don't think it sadistic but the way forward on these matters.
Many thanks once again

Vote:

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
They tried that one on me years ago can't believe its still happening I just pull the plug so none of their info is saved on my puter. Also check your firewall settings etc.

Vote:

kittensinurface

Reaction score
I fell for a Scam and nearly gave away Personal banking details. My computer session was interupted by a repeating female voice telling me not to switch my computer off to solve the problem but to contact the telephone number that appeared on screen next to a Windows Defender heading.
Like a fool I rang the number and spoke to a very convincing male supportive of my problem which he could fix. He blamed a network issue which he could resolve by taking a list of actions and it would cost £339 .Alarm bells. I said no and switched my computer off.
No problems so far but I have noticed my Sticky notes contain the list of actions the scammer would take and cost as mentioned above.
Any advice on what I should do e.g delete the content of my sticky notes
Reduce malvertising, ransoms, PUPs, popups, scams
Reduce popups
Chrome Browser > Settings > site permissions > Quieter Notifications (do not turn off)
Reduce popups
Bottom right corner of Windows System Tray > right click > Windows priority notifications only
Reduce ads

Vote:

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
Reduce malvertising, ransoms, PUPs, popups, scams
Reduce popups
Chrome Browser > Settings > site permissions > Quieter Notifications (do not turn off)
Reduce popups
Bottom right corner of Windows System Tray > right click > Windows priority notifications only
Reduce ads
So that one is still going around, anything like that I switch off the power at the powerpoint so it hopefully doesn't get saved then run anti-virus software on whole drive before using puter, also block popup screens in security and only allow the ones you want to run. Many programs install or save on a normal shut down just close any of your open windows leave the virus running on the ram and pull plug. Windows might want to repair somthing on restart but thats better than installing a virus. I don't use any security software except defender as some one has to make these programs why to sell their solutions to your new problem.

Vote:

Ask a Question