Installing from a win11 pro disk is a pain

pvee

Reaction score
I have upgraded about 15 PC's to windows-11 from windows 10 with no issues .
But last week I decided to do an install from a Windows-11 pro dvd.
First aggravation was I could not install an off line account, at least I could not find a way to do it, so I installed using my MS account, then created another account, then uninstalled the MS user account, after that I ran into 2-3 more stumbling blocks and folders showing up all over the screen.
I finally gave up and loaded windows 10pro on it, after clearing the hard drive. Then once I activated windows 10, I did my normal Upgrade to windows-11 with no more gotcha's.
I don't know if that is normal , but my first thought was, this is making an Apple install look pretty good..lol, I haven't gone that far yet..!!!

Bighorn

Reaction score
It may depend upon the source for the Win11 DVD. I always use the MCT/Media Creation Tool provided by Microsoft for installing Win10 and Win11, can get the .iso file used to create the bootable DVD+R or DVD-R and even the Win10 DVD+R/DL disc, never the RW discs. And I use the MCT to create the bootable USB Thumb drive, 8GB. The main difference now is Win11 is only x64/64-bit, not available as the x86/32-bit version even though it can run x86 programs, mostly the same as Win10. And the version installed is either Home or Pro, depends upon the activation key used, haven't had occasion to work with Enterprise and Education.

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
There are limitation of ISO DVD's which users buy legally (original) which will force one to use Microsoft's online account and will not allow to use Local Account at first. In my case, downloaded the original ISO from Microsoft website and burn it to USB via Rufus (where you can see an option to use Local Account at first logon) and bypass to force use of Microsoft online account.

In my case before knowing this technique, I failed to create Local Account whereby the username was pretty ugly since my email is (e-mail address removed), it creates <C:\Users\xploi> no thats not I wanted, so referring to the above as I explained, firstly I logged on using the name Joe and successfully done, then proceeded with Microsoft Account whereby the username stays as <Joe>.

This is very usable to create a Local Account and let specific users to use their own online account and the Local Account name remains as they wish.

1684166987047.png

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
??? We've talked at GREAT lengths, about downloading a Windows 11 ISO and then burning it to a Flash Drive, using Rufus. At such great lengths, as a matter of FACT, why would anyone who reads these forums even consider doing anything else.
Isn't a "Word to the wise, sufficient?"

I'm sorry, but I'm getting old and grumpy, and I just don't understand some peoples thinking.
We give them the best path, down a brand new, smooth, paved highway, and yet they take off down a dirt road and then complain about the rocks and mud holes.
?

Bighorn

Reaction score
Rufus would be okay if wanting to avoid anything to do with Microsoft but as long as the USB Thumb drive can be made from their site using their MCT, why not? One less program to install as it's done from the browser in a single operation.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
That's Crazy!
I've used Rufus for years, way before Windows 11 ever came along. It's a great little program, for putting any ISO, from any source, onto a Flash Drive. And I have many Utilities on Flash Drives, complements of Rufus. And you don't even have to buy it....IT'S FREE!

The fact that now it will aid in the creation of a Win-11 install Flash Drive that can facilitate the EASY install of Win-11 for the less than Rocket Scientist, among us, should not anger you at all. After all, this IS a help forum, Isn't it?
Why are you so tied up on the "Party Line"?

Ask a Question