Keyboard not working with Windows 11

LorenB

Reaction score
My PC is less than one-year old and today Windows Update said Windows 11 was ready to install. I did the installation and after Windows 11 was installed the keyboard was not working (no problems with the keyboard with W10). I unplugged the USB cable and plugged it in again and restated the PC several times, still not working. I found an old keyboard and plugged it in, and it worked. Using that old keyboard, I was able to get the Windows Update the go back to Windows 10. And the keyboard is working fine.
Is this a known issue with Windows 11? Is Microsoft working on a fix? Why would Windows Update tell me my PC is ready to be updated to Windows 11 if the keyboard will stop working?

davehc

Reaction score
The keyboard is probably not an associated Microsoft product. But that is no excuse. Connecting a keyboard to any known peripheral is not , I would think, A brainstormer for a programmer

But, have you tried looking in the settings to see if there was something that could be applied there - normally under System.
Remotely, could also be that it needs a driver update. Negligence again on Microsofts part - it should come automatically with he installation.

Last edited:

Vote:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You don't mention the manufacturer name or model name and number of the problem keyboard.
Typically most if not all keyboards will generally work out of the box, if only with limited functionality.

Those that don't might be unique in their manufacturing.
IF it's a wireless device it may need drivers for the transceiver
OR
IF it is one of the high end gamer keyboards it may need an additional, robust driver package in order to convince Windows that it is a keyboard / input device.

Vote:

LorenB

Reaction score
It's a Dell PC and a Dell keyboard. I already Updated the drive by going to Start-Device Manager-Keyboards-Update driver and then restarted the PC but the keyboard was still dead with Windows 11.

Vote:

LorenB

Reaction score
After 90 minutes of updating drivers, doing a Windows update, following the instructions of a YouTube video on how to fix the issue with nothing working I reverted back to Windows 10. I'll wait until 2022 to try Windows 11 again. Maybe Microsoft will fix the issue by then. Get your act together Microsoft!

Vote:

Ask a Question