Laptop battery

Amadeus51

Reaction score
My laptop was hissing at me earlier today, and the bottom was very hot. Is that signs the battery needs to be replaced? The laptop is going on three years old. is there a trick to removing the screws on the bottom? I have the right size screwdriver, but the screws won't turn.

Bighorn

Reaction score
What is the make and model of the laptop? Some of the newer lighter thinner models don't have easily removable batteries like older ones and those may be "gel cell", have seen them start to swell when nearing the end of their life [had one of those happen once]. Have never had an issue with removing screws to take the back/bottom of the case off. I do have one that has 2 strips of 'bumpers' that need removing to get to most of the screws then need re-gluing when putting back together.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Considering the planes that have been brought down by failing laptop batteries, and other disastrous fires started by them, if my laptop were 'Hissing' at me, in milliseconds it would be laying out in the yard.
I have one of those modern, thin, laptops, like the one mentioned above. The battery is a 'Flat Pack' buried down inside of the unit.
Not easily removed. If memory serves, the 10 screws that have to be removed to free up the bottom panel, are not your standard straight or Phillips screws. But a very small "Jeweler's" size Phillips and six are definitely Under the rubber 'Feet' on the bottom.
The person who gave me this laptop called it a "Throw Away" device, and he was glad enough to get rid of it.
I HAVE had it apart, after watching a vid. on U-Tube as to how to get it apart. The guy started out his work with a metal kitchen spatula, which he traded for a pocket knife, that he used to separate the two halves of the case.
Not my idea of Computer repair work!

Amadeus51

Reaction score
What is the make and model of the laptop? Some of the newer lighter thinner models don't have easily removable batteries like older ones and those may be "gel cell", have seen them start to swell when nearing the end of their life [had one of those happen once]. Have never had an issue with removing screws to take the back/bottom of the case off. I do have one that has 2 strips of 'bumpers' that need removing to get to most of the screws then need re-gluing when putting back together.
It is an inexpensive HP, costs about $350. I only see two screws, it does have the bumpers on the bottom. It settled down after I unplugged it and turned it off. Still warm on the bottom, but not hissing at me anymore. Is it worth while to take it back to the shop, or am I stuck buying another one?

Bighorn

Reaction score
It is an inexpensive HP, costs about $350. I only see two screws, it does have the bumpers on the bottom. It settled down after I unplugged it and turned it off. Still warm on the bottom, but not hissing at me anymore. Is it worth while to take it back to the shop, or am I stuck buying another one?
That sounds like the HP I was given for parts, has a few screws in the middle and 2 long strips that are covering other screws. I watched a video that shows using a spudger [looks like a guitar pick] to separate the back panel to get to the inside. I like to rehab machines rather than just throw away, parts usually cheaper. If the heat has dropped down the cooling fan may be working.

Amadeus51

Reaction score
It's an HP. model # 14-fq0013dx, altho' it's printed so small on the bottom the last two are hard to read.

Bighorn

Reaction score

Amadeus51

Reaction score

Bighorn

Reaction score
Interesting, but it doesn't say whether the battery can be replaced. Apparently on some models it can't.
And I haven't found any images showing anything. A Search for a firm selling batteries using that model number shows what it looks like. I once did an Acer with that "gel cell" type battery.

Amadeus51

Reaction score
And I haven't found any images showing anything. A Search for a firm selling batteries using that model number shows what it looks like. I once did an Acer with that "gel cell" type battery.
My search shows that batteries are available, and not real expensive. Would it help to call the place I got it and ask them, or would they just try to sell me another laptop I can't afford?.

Bighorn

Reaction score
Would it help to call the place I got it and ask them, or would they just try to sell me another laptop I can't afford?.
Unfortunately that could go either way, it's usually cheaper to try a new battery.

Bighorn

Reaction score
According to the images on the linked page it can be replaced, noted by the 'ears' with the screwholes.

Amadeus51

Reaction score
According to the images on the linked page it can be replaced, noted by the 'ears' with the screwholes.
Nice to know. If I call the store, I'll have a better idea if they're giving me the right info. They have always been straight with me, so that's a plus.

Amadeus51

Reaction score
I notice the top of the laptop is warm as well. Should I assume that is not good?

Bighorn

Reaction score
I notice the top of the laptop is warm as well. Should I assume that is not good?
Since heat normally floats upward that would be a good assumption. It would be good to try canned air in the vent holes, particularly if having pets in the home as they leave very fine hairs to float. Had one client that smoked heavily and the inside of his desktop was literally yellow brown, couldn't save much.

Amadeus51

Reaction score
Since heat normally floats upward that would be a good assumption. It would be good to try canned air in the vent holes, particularly if having pets in the home as they leave very fine hairs to float. Had one client that smoked heavily and the inside of his desktop was literally yellow brown, couldn't save much.
I don't smoke or have pets. I noticed today, that the noise is not there and the heat levels went down while the screen was off, even though the laptop was still plugged in and on.

Bighorn

Reaction score
Don't know how it will work on a hard surface but a Forehead Thermometer may give an indication of how much heat. The Notebook I'm on now has a warmth on the hinge area through the first couple rows of keys and cooler at the Touch pad.

Amadeus51

Reaction score
Don't know how it will work on a hard surface but a Forehead Thermometer may give an indication of how much heat. The Notebook I'm on now has a warmth on the hinge area through the first couple rows of keys and cooler at the Touch pad.
The heat on the top is just in the vent area, haven't noticed any farther down. It's sitting on a card table, same place it's been sitting since I got it.

Amadeus51

Reaction score
The heat on the top is just in the vent area, haven't noticed any farther down. It's sitting on a card table, same place it's been sitting since I got it.
I just did a check on the battery. It says the battery is working normally. What I wonder is whether the noise is coming from the fan. It only occurs when the screen is lit. Is that a reasonable guess>

Ask a Question