Remove Microsoft Edge

Phoenix

Reaction score
Is it possible to completely remove this from Windows 11?
I have removed it from my desktop.
I would like to have t gone.

Phoenix

Reaction score
I have done this, and when clicking on the three Edge related apps, I am
only allowed to choose Modify. Uninstal is greyed out.
Logged in with Administrator privileges, and the same thing occurred.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
It's possible that since the previous post in 2021 and the final removal of Internet Explorer it may not be possible to remove Edge, too ingrained with Windows. Now when a Web page needs IE it is set in Windows to divert to Edge. It also affects some installed programs such as QuickBooks that relied on IE.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
I have done it in the past (2 years ago or so, on WIN 11 already). There is guidance on the net how to do it with Powershell or the cmd prompt (see for instance: https://www.androidauthority.com/uninstall-microsoft-edge-windows-11-3172708/).
But I would'nt recommend it. Edge seems to be so deeply integrated into Windows (and Microsoft seems to continue on this path) that you will get strange unexplainable errors and bugs at least in in the long run.
Even if I am very upset with the constant Edge updates, because I never use it and always (after every update) need to remove all the Edge autorun entries in "Logon" and "Scheduled tasks" and "Services" with the freeware "Autoruns" (and remove the "hijacking" of the *.xml files), frankly I wouldn't do it !
What you can do is use "Edge redirect": https://mspoweruser.com/msedgeredirect-can-now-redirect-bing-searches-to-google/
(when installing, use the "Service option", it will reinstall again).
But this is my personal opinion; others may have other experiences !

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
It's possible that since the previous post in 2021 and the final removal of Internet Explorer it may not be possible to remove Edge, too ingrained with Windows. Now when a Web page needs IE it is set in Windows to divert to Edge. It also affects some installed programs such as QuickBooks that relied on IE.
IE is still in the "Program Files". I have no idea of MS's future intentions, but it can, for the momeny, still be used through Edge, but not as a stand alone (without hacking;)) - It's in the options.

1681446574031.png

Vote:

Ask a Question