Missing VHD after Windows 11 upgrade

bimfi

Reaction score
I am perplexed. 2 days ago, I made a VHD on an HDD on my desktop PC. Now, this HDD is a 2T drive that has 3 partitions on it (drives E: F: G). I took the F: drive, which had 224 GB free space and allocated 100 GB for the VHD. After initializing and formatting it, it was given a drive letter of J:\. I pasted a copy of Windows 11 ISO onto this drive. My intention was to install Windows 11 onto the VHD so that I could test it out. My next step was to install Windows 11, so I double clicked on the ISO. Windows Install began. It had been a long time since I had installed a new OS, so I just let it do it's thing. About half way through, I realized that I may have installed the OS onto my C:\ drive instead of the VHD.
After the install was completed, I went to check where it was installed. It was then that I found that the VHD had disappeared, including the Windows 11 ISO that I had copied into the VHD.
I cannot explain why this happened. I am okay with Windows 11 being my only OS, but still baffled by what had occurred.

Ask a Question