Mouse wheel jumping

Roger Ashley

Reaction score
Good Morning,
Since upgrading to Windows 11, I have a problem with the mouse wheel jumping, this is particularly annoying on emails
I turn the wheel and after a short inactivity the screen scrolls to the new position. I have replaced the mouse, still the same effect. I have also removed and restored the driver.
This also happens on a brand new PC, installed with Win 11 before supply.
Is there a fix for this problem or is it something awaiting an update?
Many thanks.

Jelly

Reaction score
Do you have a desktop or a laptop? I had an external mouse plugged in to the laptop, but found I was accidentally brushing the touchpad when I was typing, causing the page to scroll.

Vote:

Roger Ashley

Reaction score
Do you have a desktop or a laptop? I had an external mouse plugged in to the laptop, but found I was accidentally brushing the touchpad when I was typing, causing the page to scroll.
Hi there. Both instances are on desktop PC's, I have tried mouse on old win 10 PC and works fine. So it must be something amiss in win 11.
Thanks for your reply

Vote:

drol343

Reaction score
Good Morning,
Since upgrading to Windows 11, I have a problem with the mouse wheel jumping, this is particularly annoying on emails
I turn the wheel and after a short inactivity the screen scrolls to the new position. I have replaced the mouse, still the same effect. I have also removed and restored the driver.
This also happens on a brand new PC, installed with Win 11 before supply.
Is there a fix for this problem or is it something awaiting an update?
Many thanks.

Vote:

drol343

Reaction score
If you are using a Mouse with a Dongle make sure it has a clear path to the Mouse. No metal to pentrate; wood s/b OK. This has fixed this issue with others.
I fixed my Mouse Jitters by purchasing a RAZER BASILISK ULTIMATE - ERGONOMIC WIRED/WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE. ($70 - $80)

Vote:

clubtail

Reaction score
On an earlier computer, on W10, There was an option to turn the touchpad off if a physical mouse is plugged in. Om my latest computer, this seems to be the default. I suggest you look in Settings, to see if this option is available. I too find the touchpad more of a hindrance than a help: when typing in Word, a slack thumb touching the pad moves the typing position, and you then have to move the newly added material to where it's supposed to be. If there is no option to disable the touchpad, then I suggest covering it with a sheet of stiff card. Good luck!

Vote:

worm6666

Reaction score
if it does perform on two different pc's, but only one mouse (is there option to test same model but another mouse?) - then it looks, like the mouse cannot communicate well with the dongle, or the data are delayed into the pc already. You wrote, "it jumps" to another part of text (email for example) - also data has been cached correctly in mouse hardware self - but the insufficient communication or driver (?) delay in pc caused, that it has read all the cached data and processed them at once - also what should happen by scrolling normaly in let's say 0.1 - 0.5 second or smooth enough to scroll nicely, happened instantly - caused "jump efect".

- also it is either bad wroted driver (it cannot handle cached data correctly - for example to emulate smooth slow scroll jump and not quick jump)
- or the communication is distorted and thus it has efect of storing cached data on mouse self because the wireless protocol self throws away data, which are not received correctly - and here originates the delay, until all data about scrolling the roller are received correctly - and when processed in pc immediatelly - it looks like jump
- it can be also hw failure there (mouse and dongle components)
- power issues on dongle ? (usb problem ?) - try to use some usb powered switch and put dongle there
- it can be some delay in OS enviroment self - processing "this" mouse data is slowed down by another process - it has low priority and therefore it is delayed - and after releasing enough resources processed immediatelly with the jump efect...
- it can be there some interference with another wireless device...

it can be also something other You can dream about in point of view of operating system, hardware, wireless communication...

try to change to another piece of hw but same model, try to use the mouse in some other location (outside of the building - in park without or at least minimal another signals coverage), another wireless mouse usage and so one...

try to use the mouse with not scrolling document - but with "zooming" property of some software - for example 3d modeling (try google sketchup free) - and look, if it has same efect - jump change of zoom view ratio - because there can be also synchronisation with the smooth scrolling problem that causes this (it is long lasting problem between smooth scroll and video signal synchronisation) - also video driver comes into play...

it can be anything in between in corellation to wireless communication...

hope I gave U some tips to clear this unlucky situation...

Vote:

Ask a Question