On screen keyboard not showing

ShivP

Reaction score
Hi
I installed Win11 onto my laptop yday

It is a "360" laptop and can go into tablet mode. Win11 appears to correctly identify that I've flipped the screen round as the icons space themselves out, but whenever I go to type, the on screen keyboard just doesn't show anymore. I can't find any options to correct this

There's a button in the bottom right to open OSK, it doesn't do anything
There's also an 'open keyboard' button in the settings, does nothing

Any ideas please?

Thanks veyr much

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Windows Key + R and in the Run Dialog Box type
services.msc
Hit enter or click OK
Scroll down to Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service
Confirm that it is running and set to automatic

Try using the Windows Key + Ctrl Key + O key on your standard keyboard to see if that works

Browse to
C:\Windows\System32
Scroll as needed down to osk.exe
See if you can launch it from there

IF so right click it and from the context menu choose "Send to" -> Desktop "Create shortcut".
Test and see if that shortcut performs as expected.

Try launching it from
A command prompt
A terminal window
OR the run dialog box

By simply typing osk.exe or just osk and hitting the enter key

Vote:

ShivP

Reaction score
Windows Key + R and in the Run Dialog Box type
services.msc
Hit enter or click OK
Scroll down to Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service
Confirm that it is running and set to automatic

Try using the Windows Key + Ctrl Key + O key on your standard keyboard to see if that works

Browse to
C:\Windows\System32
Scroll as needed down to osk.exe
See if you can launch it from there

IF so right click it and from the context menu choose "Send to" -> Desktop "Create shortcut".
Test and see if that shortcut performs as expected.

Try launching it from
A command prompt
A terminal window
OR the run dialog box

By simply typing osk.exe or just osk and hitting the enter key
Appears to run as normal when launching it manually, it just doesn't auto open in tablet mode and/or by pressing the taskbar button for it. Really frustrating

Vote:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you check and confirm that you are running the latest version of Windows 11

Screenshot 2021-11-02 155854.jpg

I've searched the feedback hub and cannot find anything the specifically matches your issue, however there are plenty assorted issues with the On Screen Keyboard.
AND
Unfortunately I do not have a suitable tablet device on hand to attempt to duplicate your issue.

I suppose, as a work around, you could set it to launch at startup and then minimize it to the taskbar and launch it from there when and if needed.
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Use the computer without a mouse or keyboard
At least until someone comes along with some specific experience and a possible fix.
OR
Until a future update fixes it automagically.

Vote:

ShivP

Reaction score
Can you check and confirm that you are running the latest version of Windows 11

View attachment 270

I've searched the feedback hub and cannot find anything the specifically matches your issue, however there are plenty assorted issues with the On Screen Keyboard.
AND
Unfortunately I do not have a suitable tablet device on hand to attempt to duplicate your issue.

I suppose, as a work around, you could set it to launch at startup and then minimize it to the taskbar and launch it from there when and if needed.
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Use the computer without a mouse or keyboard
At least until someone comes along with some specific experience and a possible fix.
OR
Until a future update fixes it automagically.
Think I'll just downgrade to W10, can't be missing this feature unfortunately :(

Vote:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF it worked in Windows 10 and does not in Windows 11, then....
It could be something as simple as installing a software package (driver) that supports "this feature".

You may want to check available downloads from the manufacturer's website and see if you see something there that suggests that it is aimed at the 2in1 360 tablet function.
Even though it might be a Windows 10 software package, it is likely that it will work in Windows 11 also.

Vote:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Trouble. Another weird one!
I do not have any of the problems mentioned, but I thought it a good idea to go for it anyway.
The update tells me I already have it installed?? Which I have, when I investigate, on the first Nov.

Vote:

Ask a Question