Opening non associated files with notepad

jdauthre

Reaction score
I have regularly opened (in windows) .meta files which just contain text about a tv program on an enigma2 (linux) box. In windows 10 this has not been a problem as on right click you get an option to chose from your existing applications - notepad is fine for this.

In Windows 11 you only get an option to get an application from windows store (nothing of use there). I also tried associating the .meta extension with various file types through the command line eg assoc .meta = txtfile etc. this didn't work either. I can drag and drop it into an opened notepad but this is unsatisfactory. Anybody have any ideas?

jdauthre

Reaction score
Thanks but this doesn't help, watching the videos isn't a problem, I want to edit the metadata file (which is separated from the video file in Enigma2)

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
What about Wordpad? It is under "Tools" in the start menu. Or you can launch it from Windows (write.exe)

Vote:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In Windows 11 you only get an option to get an application from windows store
First have you tried first opening NOTEPAD and the from its' menu choosing File -> Open
Then on the bottom right of the open file dialog box where it defaults to "Text Document (*.txt) use that drop down to change to All Files
Then browse to the file you want to open.

Second the right click menu in Windows 11 is a bit funky and you may need to click the "more" option at the bottom to find the "open with" option, possibly you may need to hold the shift key on your keyboard to expose that option.

Vote:

jdauthre

Reaction score
What about Wordpad? It is under "Tools" in the start menu. Or you can launch it from Windows (write.exe)
Yes I tried that , I get the same problem as notepad, Same problem as notepad (I think this is a generic problem forany 'non standard' file extensions)

Vote:

jdauthre

Reaction score
First have you tried first opening NOTEPAD and the from its' menu choosing File -> Open
Then on the bottom right of the open file dialog box where it defaults to "Text Document (*.txt) use that drop down to change to All Files
Then browse to the file you want to open.

Second the right click menu in Windows 11 is a bit funky and you may need to click the "more" option at the bottom to find the "open with" option, possibly you may need to hold the shift key on your keyboard to expose that option.
Thanks, the right click on menu even with shift down does give an 'open with' option but the only one on offer is microsoft store, this is the difference between windows 10 and 11. Opening notepad first and using the file open option does work, like dragging the file into notepad, but is much less convenient than just right clicking on the file.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
You might be interested in getting rid f that dumb "More" thing.

This reg file will do it. One removes,the other adds.

Attachments

• Show More Options Context Menu - Disable.reg
    612 bytes · Views: 2
  • Show More Options Context Menu - Enable.reg
    576 bytes · Views: 1

Vote:

Ben Myers

Reaction score
I have regularly opened (in windows) .meta files which just contain text about a tv program on an enigma2 (linux) box. In windows 10 this has not been a problem as on right click you get an option to chose from your existing applications - notepad is fine for this.

In Windows 11 you only get an option to get an application from windows store (nothing of use there). I also tried associating the .meta extension with various file types through the command line eg assoc .meta = txtfile etc. this didn't work either. I can drag and drop it into an opened notepad but this is unsatisfactory. Anybody have any ideas?

Actually, Windows Notepad is in the Microsoft Store.

Ben

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
I think the one in the store, is the same as that already built in to windows 11. The one sitting on my computer is

1636988173809.png

Not sure how that stands with the one on offer in the store.

Vote:

dona

Reaction score
Here is a way to try to open files with Notepad.
1-go to C:\Windows\System32\
2-locate the file notepad.exe
3-right click on this file and choose Show more options, then Create shortcut, answer Yes to create the shortcut on the Desktop
4-Press Win+R and type shell:sendto, Enter
5-drag the shortcut to notepad from the Desktop into the SendTo folder
6-go to the place you have the file that you want to open with Notepad, right click on this file and choose Show more optiions, Send to and choose Notepad from the context menu

Your file shoud open in Notepad, I tried it and works for me.

Similarly you can open it with Wordpad, if you create the shortcut for the file wordpad.exe from the
"C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\" folder on the Desktop and drag it into your user name SendTo folder

Last edited:

Vote:

dona

Reaction score
Thank you! That worked perfectly, but what a todo for something that worked perfectly well in Windows 10
I can not but totaly agree with you on that.

Adding shortcuts to the SendTo folder the way it used to work in Windows 10 does not work anymore in Windows 11 because the shortcut it creates does not point to an .exe file but to something else. And this does not work for the so called UWP, the Windows applications

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question