Outlook Mail Notification

oldbaldrick

Reaction score
I'm using Outlook (part of Office 2019 Pro Plus) as my email client.
I get the brown envelope notification of new email in the taskbar, but when I go to the app there is no notification of new mail against any email account. With 7 email accounts, I have to click the flippy-triangle for each account until I find the new email. When using Thunderbird or Apple Mail, there is always a 'New Mail' badge against the relevant email account. Having scoured the settings, I can find no way to activate this…

davehc

Reaction score
My only experience is with 2016. Possibly the same. I get an email notification, even when it has been placed in the junk by the (cusomised) filter

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Using 365 so I'm not sure what the equivalent identification in the retail package is as opposed to the subscription
Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2110 Build 16.0.14527.20270) 64-bit
I have to click the flippy-triangle
I would love to know what "the flippy-triangle" is
It probably has something to do with your "view" settings.

Capture.JPG

oldbaldrick

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses.
Trouble: your picture resembles what I have. The term I used - flipppy triangles - isn't strictly true anymore. In days of yore there were black triangles beside an expandable menu that when clicked would rotate down as the menu expanded and rotate back up as the menu retracted. These days they're just a chevron >
I have the number of unread messages for Inbox, Junk etc, just as you do, but I have to click on each mailbox account (POP Mail & Hotmail in your picture) - just like you do - to get the menu to expand to see where the unread messages are. If both your POP Mail and Hotmail account menus were collapsed, you wouldn't know which of these had the new, unread messages. That's what I'm trying to achieve. In Thunderbird and Apple Mail, the unread message count is shown for each account without having to expand the account menu. If the account menu is expanded, then the total unread message count (for that account) is split between Inbox, junk etc.
I hope this explanation helps clarify my question.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I hope this explanation helps clarify my question.
It does, although.....
The why of it escapes me.
When I open Outlook the native folder sets are already expanded as I left them when I closed Outlook. I can see that being a bit unwieldy with seven account if they all are configured separately with their independent data files.

IF I collapse both POP and IMAP then only the POP account gives you a hint of what you're looking for, in "Outlook Today"
Capture1.JPG

Which you can of course customize a little and include the inboxes of the other accounts which is kinda lame but may be helpful in a last resort kinda way. As long as you can remember the order of the accounts and their associated inboxes.

oldbaldrick

Reaction score
Outlook 1.jpgOutlook 2.jpgThunderbird 1.jpgThunderbird 2.jpg

Hopefully the 4 pictures (2 Outlook, 2 Thunderbird) will show what I have in Outlook and what I'd like to achieve, as seen in the Thunderbird pics.

Ask a Question