Problem with fan

FarrahCharcoal

Reaction score
Howdy! My problem is that my computer (has windows11) sometimes the fan sounds very loud and the screen freezes,Moments later the screen unfreezes and the fan stops beeping, could someone help me fix this please?

Bighorn

Reaction score
Howdy! My problem is that my computer (has windows11) sometimes the fan sounds very loud and the screen freezes,Moments later the screen unfreezes and the fan stops beeping, could someone help me fix this please?
Which type computer, Desktop or Notebook? How old is it? Are there pets in the house? Sounds like there's a heat problem, frequently caused by the vents/holes in the case restricting air flow into and out of the case, can be caused by dust and/or fine hairs in the air. I use canned air intended for blowing debris from the computer.

Sir_George

Reaction score
There is an app that will provide information for the Drive, CPU and GPU temps. It's free and should provide you with enough information to determine if any of the listed components are overheating, Generally, what you are experiencing is due to excessive heat. You can download the app "Argus Monitor" from the link below if you want to use it.

Although the website claims it is the best fan control software for Windows, it provides much more than just fan control.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Neat program, even if only a 30 day trial.
It tells me that my fans are under BIOS Control, which is just fine with me.
:cool:

Sir_George

Reaction score
Neat program, even if only a 30 day trial.
It tells me that my fans are under BIOS Control, which is just fine with me.
:cool:
Thanks for posting the correction about free. The fully functional 30-day evaluation period is free, continued use does require purchasing a license.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Under Bios Control, means that the Bios monitors the temperature of the CPU, and when that temperature rises, usually do to a heavy work load, the Bios will increase the fan speed to get rid of the extra heat.
That effect can be minimized, by keeping the CPU heatsink CLEAN. When the CPU Heatsink gets dirty, as in loaded up with lint, etc, you'll hear the fan running FAST a lot more.
I've actually taken service calls on PC's, for that very reason.
Here's the heatsink from just one such service call.
DirtyFan&HeatSink.jpg
The customer complained that the fan was "So LOUD!".

Their PC was siting on the floor, on a white carpet. I convinced them to put it up on the desk. End of problem.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Ooops! I forgot to say, that I also cleaned that fan and the heat-sink, (and changed the heat-sink grease between the CPU and the heat-sink) and I even injected a drop or two of fine machine oil into the bearing on that fan.*

*Underneath that paper label, is a rubber plug that covers the main bearing. Injecting a drop or two of oil into that bearing, can double the life of the fan. Been doing that little trick for years on small cooling fans, also called "Muffin Fans".
I have a small oiler with a point like a Hypodermic Needle. Works great for lubricating fans.

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Under Bios Control, means that the Bios monitors the temperature of the CPU, and when that temperature rises, usually do to a heavy work load, the Bios will increase the fan speed to get rid of the extra heat.
That effect can be minimized, by keeping the CPU heatsink CLEAN. When the CPU Heatsink gets dirty, as in loaded up with lint, etc, you'll hear the fan running FAST a lot more.
I've actually taken service calls on PC's, for that very reason.
Here's the heatsink from just one such service call.
View attachment 1077
The customer complained that the fan was "So LOUD!".

Their PC was siting on the floor, on a white carpet. I convinced them to put it up on the desk. End of problem.

yah, the same maintenance goes for me when I was using desktop .. the dusts reside CPU case is unpredictable, have to be monitored, else to buy a transparent case :D

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
I started doing maintencance on computers and other electro/mechanical equipment back in 1964. You'd not believe some of the messes I've seen. One of the worse was a PPG glass factory. The floors and everything else was covered with a dusting of ground glass. That's REALLY bad for computers and printers.

Here's one Home Computer that I actually documented:
DirtyFanGrill.JPG This was the grill over the one and only Case Fan.
The rest of this PC was just as bad. This was another PC that was sitting on the floor. Things got so hot inside the case, that the motherboard shot craps. (failed, totally).
This fan sat in the front of the case, right behind the front panel. When I pulled that panel off, a huge wad of dirt fell out on the bench.
Another shot, of the same PC.
FirstDay 020.jpg
More neglect! This PC was toast!

PC's are designed to run a very long time, if properly maintained.
I have several PC's here, that are over 15 years old, that still run like new.

Cheers Mates!
Shadow :cool:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
I started doing maintencance on computers and other electro/mechanical equipment back in 1964. You'd not believe some of the messes I've seen. One of the worse was a PPG glass factory. The floors and everything else was covered with a dusting of ground glass. That's REALLY bad for computers and printers.

Here's one Home Computer that I actually documented:
View attachment 1101 This was the grill over the one and only Case Fan.
The rest of this PC was just as bad. This was another PC that was sitting on the floor. Things got so hot inside the case, that the motherboard shot craps. (failed, totally).
This fan sat in the front of the case, right behind the front panel. When I pulled that panel off, a huge wad of dirt fell out on the bench.
Another shot, of the same PC.
View attachment 1102
More neglect! This PC was toast!

PC's are designed to run a very long time, if properly maintained.
I have several PC's here, that are over 15 years old, that still run like new.

Cheers Mates!
Shadow :cool:

Wow microfloppy disk drive, should about 20 years back then .. I still have unopened IMATION microfloppy diskettes in my cupboar, just to keep as memory :)

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Me too! I was looking for a DOS file yesterday, and finally found it, on an old DOS Floppy Disk. I'll never throw those old disks away. I never know when one will come in handy.
In one way or another, I use DOS every day. I only have a problem reading my old 5.25" Floppy disks. I don't think I have a 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive, anymore. I still have several hundred of those, containing both programs and utilities.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Just for fun:
Yesterday, I did a web search for 5.25" Floppy Disk Drives. WOW! You'd think they were made of GOLD!
I saw prices from the $50's up to $100 for a single drive.

I know that I still had one, not too long ago, but finding one I cannot.

Now, Fans are a different matter. I have plenty of those, of all sizes. I've never knowingly thrown away any fan.
Every time I've scrapped out a PC or a PSU, I've always saved the fans.

Now here's one that some of you may be familiar with:
HDProject3.JPG
The "Vio" twin fan HD cooler was a great way to prevent Over Heating on the old spinners.

CoolDrive.jpg
I always mounted them on 1/4" standoffs, to prevent the 'Air Dam' that could result between the fans and the drive.
They worked great. But, now with SSD's, drive coolers are no longer needed.

I still have a few spinners, but I use them so rarely, I don't bother putting coolers on them, even though I still have a few.

Cheers Mates,
The Shadow :cool:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
If you happen to have a video card, with a heatsink but no fan, and it's getting HOT, fastening a fan down on top of the heatsink makes a great little GPU cooler. This one is screwed right into the heatsink, but Hot Glue works good too.

GPU_Cooler.jpg

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
NO! When it comes to problems, or perceived problems with fans, it's not about Windows 11.
Actually, it's not even about Windows, or PC's. Other electronic devices use fans too.

Look around your own house, and count the fans. Eventually, every one will need to be cleaned, and maybe even lubricated.

Ask a Question