Questions about the task bar

alan sh

Reaction score
I know I can install Open Shell to get rid of the horrible menu, but a few other questions, if you can help.

1. Can you install Quick Launch on the task bar as you can with Windows 10.
2. Can you resize it so you can have 2 rows of icons?
3. Can I have it so each window has a separate icon? Not combined.

This is what my Windows 10 task bar looks like - and I'd like to reproduce that if possible:

1639254370028.png
Thanks for any help.

Alan

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think I can safely summarize the answer to all three of your questions.... No.

As things currently stand, the taskbar supports very little in the way of actual personalization / user customization.
There are some software vendors offering shell overlays but honestly....
Everyone is new to the game here and the ones that I have tested, while good first efforts, are going to need some serious attention before they appeal to the masses, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I wish I understood why Microsoft has decided to lock down the taskbar and start menu as they have.
Sometimes I think, it's to give these third party vendors something to do.

Something that may be more directly focused on your objective, rather than a full shell replacement

Although it may not fulfil all your requirements, you might want to keep an eye on it, as development seems to be reasonable active.
At least for now.

Last edited:

alan sh

Reaction score
That looks really good and may do what I want.

I need to buy another machine to run Windows 11 now. I'm not risking my main PC.

Ask a Question