Rollback Question

mxkt

Reaction score
Hello!
I had updated to the 22H2 update back in December and had problems with File Explorer. My friend and I tried many things to solve it but I ended up just rolling back the update and have had updates paused ever since. My Windows Defender has now suddenly stopped working and clicking Restart Now just gives me an error. I'm going to assume this has something to do with not updating for so long, but I fear 22H2 is not going to work properly still on my build.

My question is if I install the 22H2 update and still have the same issues, am I able to roll back again to even though I had already done so in the past?

I'm honestly more willing to pay for antivirus before I risk that update not functioning for my build and not being able to roll it back again and the friend who gifted me this build and normally helps me with issues is no longer available to help and I know very little!

Thank you!

Bighorn

Reaction score
You may have issues with changing the Version back to 21H2 [released in second half of 2021]. Usually there's not much issue with rolling back a Build or two but going back a Version may require a reinstall [haven't had to yet]. I'd try to do an in-place Upgrade to the current Version first using the download MCT/Media Creation Tool. But heed the warning that your data, anything that exists nowhere else, has been copied to other storage first.

1680144247415.png

Last edited:

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
I would endorse Bighorn's suggestion. It appears to be the only way open to you now,

A fresh install, if no inconvenient for you, when offered in the initial stage.
I have read on other forums that users are having problems with Explorer:
I suggest you post your problems, if they reoccur, and see if they can be dealt with.
Good news is, I read, that MS ackowledge inconsistencies with Explorer and will be releasing an update to resolve the issues.
And, of course, not forgetting there are third party alternatives for the Explorer!

Vote:

Ask a Question