Router disconnecting all the time? Strange fix.

MikeHawthorne

Reaction score
Ever since I got my new 5G router from Comcast, it disconnects a lot, several times a day.
It always quits working at night, but sometimes during the day as well.

I spent several weeks trying to find a fix and was about to complain to Comcast.
I was making one last try to find a solution and had about given up when I found a note in an article that said, the reason that your Router may be disconnecting can be because it's too close to your cell phone.

I never heard anything like this before and thought it was really unlikely but at a loss for anything else to try, that night I took my cell phone upstairs with me, it usually sits on my computer desk in its charger at night.

It didn't disconnect that night.
Since then, I've been keeping it away from my router, and it's been almost a week, and hasn't disconnected and needed to be reset.

So if you have this problem, it may be because of your cell phone.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
In answer to your Signature line...."Most definitely!"
Now, can we mark this thread as "Solved"? Sounds like.....

:cool:

MikeHawthorne

Reaction score
I guess so, though it wasn't really a question to start with, it was more of a solution to start with. In all my years of computing, I never saw anything that said to keep your cell phone away from your router.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
I know you don't know it, (yet) but you fixed a problem I've been having too.
I have a little Weather Station that would never connect with its outside sensor.
I had it in the same room with my Internet Modem/Router/WiFi router.
It showed the inside time and temp just fine, but every attempt to get it to connect with its outside sensor availed nothing.

Tonight I was in that room working on another computer, and your post came to mind, when I looked at that old Weather Station.
I unplugged it and took it into my bedroom, about 50' away from the router, and it connected to its outside sensor, and is now working just fine.
Another lesson learned!
Thank You,
Shadow :cool:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
OH, it exists, it DANG WELL Exists!!!
My WiFi modem/router way overpowered the receiver in the little (cheap) weather station. Live and learn!

:cool:

MikeHawthorne

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I just came back to say that some time has passed now, about a month, and my router has not disconnected since moved my cell phone and charger into my kitchen and posted this.

That's after disconnecting at leas 3 times a day ever since I got it.

Ask a Question