Screen saver frozen

Phoenix

Reaction score
When preparing to do some daily typing at 6 am,
I noticed the pc monitor stuck on 12:03 am...
Curious as to why this application should freeze in this manner.
No tasks are scheduled,
and all internet capabilities disabled when I nd usage every night.

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
howsit?

what have you done now elvis?

my friend .. nothin spooks me computer wise more than clock things..

clock things may be a symptom of a serious ghost in the machine.

or just your motherboard battery needs replacing.

I guess it could be as simple as some background process conked out at that time perhaps.

so, my opinion is smell the roses, so to speak.

pretty much any pc can be shut off and started a few hundred thousand times.

i am of the opinion that pc's benefit from being shut off.

i have several, i manage how I use them around the other stuff to do.

if i am fixin to do some pc stuff i fire whichever one up beforehand a 'lil, like on my way to fetchin coffee or taking a leak.
i am on a farm so there is always some chore i can squeeze in between the pc things.

when i am done with the pc things I let it be a spell before shutting down, perhaps to do its thing or whatever.
for me I do the updates and checks manually, but you could still have set to auto and just schedule that stuff for times when you have pc on but not using like suppertime or the like.

where i live is really harsh and spartan. sometimes several times a week the power goes out and I am on generators, so that is the reason i shut off the things, but even if i lived in town i would anyway.

its like a difference of a minute or so to use pc from sleep or from a fresh boot. perhaps consider using that minute to enjoy somethin you thought you were in too much a hurry to notice.

~peace

Phoenix

Reaction score
Sounds like you live in an area I can only fantasize.
Always loved visiting my cousin's farmhouse when younger, but....

As for freezing screen saver, do you think that
a scheduled task, Optimization, could be the culprit?

Went through the pc's guts and logs to learn
hat was the only automated process running after 11 pm.

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
and all internet capabilities disabled when I nd usage every night.

If I had to guess friend...

I reckon if you left your pc on but the internet was "disabled" some chore the win11 was wishing to do, like the always busy svchost.exe, had a bit of conflict resulting in the screensaver app stalling.

So ya know... it seems the windows caches the network portion of background processes when the internet is not available and runs that portion when it is, so to speak.

Like if you open resource monitor and peek at the things the pc is doing you may note even with no stuff being requested by you as in open browser or program or anything at all, your machine is quite busy entertaining itself... >=)

If your internet is not available to the pc for whatever reason, it just does the things it is able to and patiently waits until internet access is restored, when it is, your pc not only does the things it will do, it also does the things it attempted to do but couldn't.

As insidious as that may sound, most of the stuffs your pc is doing is "said to be" for your convenience as in make the things you may do more snappier, so to speak.

Most likely your screen freeze was just some fluke-e-ness and nothing to be concerned with as long as it is not some persistent snowballing affect.

Something else to consider is, it seems there are a shockingly large and increasing amount of legitimate and nefarious entities that utilize individual's pc's to do various processing tasks, apparently with and also without the individuals' awareness of, or participation.

The shutting down thing I mentioned in first reply is a fix by the way.

~Write On Elvis

yodap

Reaction score
If it happened to me, I would assume it was a one time thing but would continue to use as normal. if the issue happens again then would start investigating it more. Also agree with restarting is a good thing once in a while.

Phoenix

Reaction score
~Write On Elvis
Indeed I plan to.
The incident has only happened once in the last 2 years, so I'm fairly certain it's one of those "one and done" scenarios, or at least one would hope.
Like that man in the Beatles Penny Lane tune, I like to keep my motor clean, maintain the pc at top performance at all times. It does get to rest, going to full sleep on a weekly basis. (That's when I normally do internal physical cleaning, inspection of visible issues, etc.)

Ask a Question