SendTo problem

dona

Reaction score
I have installed Win11 as insider with a hotmail account. After installation I created a local admin account and used it to log in Win11. I wanted to add items to my SendTo account and I did this. But the added items did not show when I wanted to use them. I created a second local admin account and for this new account I added items to SendTo. I logged in with the new account and this time the addes items were available to the SendTo. But I do not want to have more than one account on my computer, so I did as follows :

I did a full new installation of Win11, this time avoiding to use a hotmail account from the start, so I installed Win11 directly with a local account. I addes desired items to my local SendTo account (Notepad and Wordpad), but when I want to use them they are not showing up.

The right solution to this problem should be that I could have functionnal new items added to my primary created account and not have to create a second account for this to work. So please either tell me if I do something wrong, or submit this to Microsoft as an issue to be corrected.

Please let me know of the solution to this problem. Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
I have found a way to fix this problem myself. After contacting another forum of Microsoft, where officials from MS get in and try to answer, because they did not even understand what my problem was I thought of something.
The problem is that when I try to drag an application into the SendTo folder to create a shortcut to that application, well, this works in Win10;but in Win11 this would create a shortcut but one that do not point directly to the application I want to use. More precisely, when we create a shortcut to Notepad it will point to C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe, for Wordpad to "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe", etc. But in Win11 the shortcuts are pointing to something stranger and not to the executable...

dona

Reaction score
I have found a way to fix this problem myself. After contacting another forum of Microsoft, where officials from MS get in and try to answer, because they did not even understand what my problem was I thought of something.
The problem is that when I try to drag an application into the SendTo folder to create a shortcut to that application, well, this works in Win10;but in Win11 this would create a shortcut but one that do not point directly to the application I want to use. More precisely, when we create a shortcut to Notepad it will point to C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe, for Wordpad to "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe", etc. But in Win11 the shortcuts are pointing to something stranger and not to the executable application itself. When I went directly to the .exe file and created a shortcut to it, then placed the shortcut in C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\ after this it works. The only backdraw to this is that you can not use so called UWP applications in Windows 10/11 applications, but only "classic" applications, those that are launched through an exe file.

Last edited:

Vote:
Solution

Ask a Question