Strange File Explorer startup behaviour

BlueAstra

Reaction score
I get a strange effect and functionality problem at startup. It started with File Explorer in the taskbar doing strange things to the screen. For conciseness (A) is the following screen effect: Main screen blinks off then on, taskbar (which disappeared with the screen) re-appears from the bottom of the screen from left to right. After the computer boots up I get the following results from right-clicking the Windows icon in the task bar:

Settings: (A) + NO folder
Task Manager: (A) + folder
Computer Manager: (A) + folder
Disk Manager: (A) + folder
Network Connections: (A) + NO folder
Device Manger: (A) + folder
System: (A) + NO folder
Event Viewer (A) + folder
Power Options (A) + NO folder
Installed Apps: (A) + NO folder
File Explorer: Folder but empty and takes about 10s to populate. Subsequent right clicks on File Explorer give an instantly populated folder. Once File Explorer has been 'populated all the above options work normally.

Other right click Windows icon options work OK. Often the small search window also disappears from the taskbar.

Other icons on the taskbar work OK except left click File Manger which gives (A) + NO folder. If you right click File Manager and select File Manager you get a Folder but empty and takes 10s to populate. Subsequent left clicks on File Explorer give an instantly populated folder. Once File Explorer has been 'populated all the above options work normally. The taskbar icons far left and far right seem to work normally.

If I put a File Explorer on the desktop it works normally but empty and takes 10s to populate. Subsequent left clicks on the desktop File Explorer give an instantly populated folder. Once File Explorer has been 'populated' all the above options work normally. All program icons on the desktop work OK.

So basically I get the above behaviour until I select an option that lets File Explorer folder populate, and then everything seems to work normally. On my next boot-up I get the same behaviour again. This is a new Dell computer i7 32GB, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, RTX 3070 Ti, with W11 Pro pre-installed, and about 10 apps/programs installed.

Ask a Question