Surface Pro 6 - Camera problem

elton

Reaction score
Hello. I have a Surface Pro 6 which is great except the front camera has decided to error.

Device manager shows:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

Searching the internet there are a few options, such as disabling the Intel Control Logic to the more drastic reinstall Windows completely ... which is a tad OTT in my opinion.

Any ideas for a less drastic approach?

Bighorn

Reaction score
Is it still under warranty?

An example of a problem, I had an issue with a 10-month-old Notebook that suddenly had a failure of the sound, turned out the fix was a new motherboard. The message was almost identical to what you get when trying all the software solutions such as removing the driver, rebooting to reinstall and when updating from the maker's site.

An issue can occur with devices that have the hinged parts is wiring that runs between the 2 parts, one can come loose or break.

Vote:

elton

Reaction score
Thanks @Bighorn

No the SP is a number of years old now and well out of warranty.
It does not have a hinged wiring loom to break; the keyboard element is a magnetic attachment with no loom.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Okay. The mention of the "front camera" implies there's another/rear camera, if so does it work properly? The error message about power failure does indicate an issue with the hardware.

Vote:

elton

Reaction score
Yes there is a rear camera and that works fine.
Within Device Manager both are shown but it's just the front camera that is in error.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Considering the hardware side, I've replaced motherboards and display screens on a few Notebooks but with the motherboards there is a point as to whether doing so versus getting a new or refurbished Notebook with a warranty was more cost-effective than replacing.

Vote:

elton

Reaction score
I'm not prepared to go that route for a camera ... I'd add an aftermarket camera if needed. But thanks anyway.

Vote:

elton

Reaction score
Was hoping for a quick fix. I may end up doing a complete reinstall of windows but not while I'm on holiday.

Vote:

elton

Reaction score
Hope from holiday and decided to sort this problem out.
Did a repair Windows 11 last night but kept my data.

Result ... still no front camera.

This morning I've done a complete wipe and fresh install of windows ... result ... no camera. So looks like it may be a hardware issue ... but saying STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE puzzles me. I wouldn't have thought that the front and rear cameras would have different power supplies?

It certainly is not worth the cost of putting the unit in for repair ... the convenience of having an inbuilt camera wouldn't justify the cost.

Vote:

Ask a Question