Taskbar on secondary monitor

Pocah

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I am looking at Win 11 now and starting to make plans.
One of the most depressing things for me is that I have long used the Taskbar in previous versions of Windows in a very strange way.
I create toolbars with all my frequently used apps, place them on the toolbar, and unusually locate the taskbar on my second monitor while keeping the primary monitor free of any taskbars, links or whatever. This is so I can use applications on the primary monitor and easily switch to the second monitor to run secondary applications like a browser to look data up on the web relating to my main application. The taskbar contains all my apps so I just click on anything I want.
I think the first problem may well be that there doesn't seem to be toolbars on the Taskbar anymore. That's a huge issue for me, but oh well, I guess I will have to live with that. The second problem is that I don't think it is even possible to move the taskbar to a secondary monitor without making it your primary monitor. Is that right? If so, does anyone know of a way around this? This would represent a really fundamental change in the way I work, a change that would not be welcome at all.

marcosqlbi

Reaction score
I would like to do the same.
I want to move the taskbar to a secondary monitor.
I am surprised that it has to be placed only on the primary monitor or on all the monitors.
If you have multiple monitors, there are many possible configurations and this is a feature we had for so many years.
This is a big step back.

Vote:

Pocah

Reaction score
It seems at the moment that the answer is no!

The taskbar is supposed to be duplicated on the second monitor but there is a bug.

I really don't like the new taskbar. I want the old one back! In particular I want Toolbars. I would also like to get rid of anything that includes the word "recommended". I don't need your recommendations, Microsoft and I find them annoying. I also don't want the start button to display a list of pinned applications. I won't use that.
For the moment I will not be downgrading to 11 until someone writes work-rounds for what I see as problems.

Vote:

Teligence

Reaction score
Taskbars don't show on external monitors when "autohide" is enabled.

Preliminary: The taskbars were working flawlessly and simultaneously on all 3 monitors (left, laptop, right) with Windows 10. The only thing that changed was that I upgraded to Windows 11 - no other application or driver updates other than what is automatically included in the Win11 upgrade.

Taskbar behavior is set to: "automatically hide the taskbar", and "Show my taskbar on all displays". The taskbar functions properly only on the "Main Display" whether it's the laptop display or one of the external monitors. When I set the taskbar options to include all displays, the taskbar on the external displays pops up briefly (< 1 second) then disappears and won't automatically reappear when I move the cursor to the external monitor taskbar area. HOWEVER, even though the taskbar on the external monitors doesn't automatically popup when I move my cursor to the bottom of the screen, I can left or right click at the bottom of the screen then the hidden taskbar will show and remain - fully functional - even though I move the cursor away, and hides again when I click anywhere else.

If I disable "Automatically hide the taskbar", then the taskbar shows properly on all displays. When I switch back to "automatically hide the taskbar" then the taskbars won't reappear on the external monitors as expected.

Simply put - the taskbars are there, but the ones that aren't on the Main Display won't automatically unhide when moving the cursor to the bottom of the screen.

I opened a case via support chat with MS, but after jumping through hoops for a couple hours, I was referred to level 2 support. Either I could wait on chat for the next available tech with no indication of a wait time, or they could schedule a callback 10 days from now!

The general steps I took with MS:
Ran SFC /scannow (0 errors).​
Ran DISM with various switches (0 errors).​
Downloaded the Win11 ISO and ran an in-place reinstall while retaining my user data.​
Re-ran all the Win11 updates.​
... and nothing changed.

Vote:

Herdous

Reaction score
Not ideal, but the only way I've found so far to unhide the taskbar on a secondary display when it won't do so automatically is to click on the mouse scroll wheel at the bottom of the screen.
You can also unpin (and then repin) any app currently set to the second monitor - which fixes the issue - but the problem comes back as soon as the display turns off and comes back on again.
Sadly, no permanent fix... Very disappointing
I'd love an update from Microsoft, that's for sure! Unless they consider it a "feature", not a bug :p

Last edited:

Vote:

AverageJoe

Reaction score
I'm a YouTuber and I need to screen capture my main display to make tutorials because all my plugins will always pop up on the main display, so I need to move the taskbar to the second monitor while recording tutorials on the main display. This was easy to do in windows 10. Is there any way to do this in windows 11 or do I have to reinstall windows 10?

Vote:

Ask a Question