Unlock installation

RogerOver

Reaction score
Since a recent update, I always need to unblock a downloaded software (installer), before I am able to install it (through Properties / unblock).
I never had this before.
Is there a way to bypass this permanently ?
I mean, I know what I'm doing !

Bighorn

Reaction score
When I've seen that, usually on a client's computer, it has been their system security that got in the way. Might be important in knowing if it's Windows/Microsoft Security/Defender or a third-party program that need to be worked with, ones I've seen were Avast, AVG and McAfee which also had a second install about Internet Security.

RogerOver

Reaction score
Thnak you.
I only use Windows Security. I have reset the application, but there is no change. Must be a reinforcement of the security by Microsoft in a recent update. ... It's not a big deal, so I'll leave it alone !

RogerOver

Reaction score
Ok, found it !
It's in Firefox.
I recently completely reinstalled it (for other problems) and there is a box to tick or untick in "Settings\Privacy and Security", when you further scoll down to "Protection against misleading content and dangerous software" (or similar, my PC is in French, I translated). If you untick this option, the download will not be blocked.
Seems that this option is still in a rather primitive state: everything you download is dangerous :LOL: !
And I didn't think about the fact, that everything I download goes through Firefox :unsure:

Grizzly

Reaction score
I dumped firefox not only because of this but because it is a memory hog (at least on older computers). FF requires a website to be HTTPS and blocks downloads that are not coming from secure sites. I had this issue when downloading updates from Microsoft because of that (they have changed it to https now).

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
For most of us, Going through all the options in FF, after an install, is a mandatory procedure. Untick this, then Untick that, etc. etc. etc.
Actually, it only takes a few seconds and after you've done it a few dozen times, like I have, it becomes second nature.

I've been with FF since the early Beta days, and still run it as my Default Browser, with "Startpage.com" as my search engine.

Then running "SpeedyFox.exe" helps to speed it up, some.
Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
Shadow :cool:

Ask a Question