Upgrading on unsupported CPU

alibegoa

Reaction score
I am running I7 processor on one of my PCs and for whatever reason it is not officially supported. TPM 2.0 and secure boot is enabled.
Should I upgrade to 11? I think I've seen somewhere announcement that I will no longer be eligible to receive updates if I do?
What does it mean? Does it mean that PC will no longer receive any updates via Windows Update Service?

Gabriel

Reaction score
Microsoft released solution for unsupported HW.
I am running win 11 on unsupported processor on older notebook from lenovo.
All updates running fine.

Solution form Microsoft:

davehc

Reaction score
It is quoted all over the Internet. I can only quote from memory that MS said you may not get those updates.
Fwiw:
I have received a couple of security updates since installation on Day one on my old laptop.

Fwiw. Since then. Updates:

1634032273578.png

1634032329436.png

1634032394644.png

Last edited:

rfsmith7

Reaction score
I suspect if there are going to be problems with updates they will come with the next feature update (22H2) rather than intervening CUs. MS could then, for example, turn on core isolation (virtualization) which could be a performance hit for non-compliant processors.

alibegoa

Reaction score
Thank you both, this is the exact text, entitled, but thank you for confirmation updates are delivered.

Upgrade Assistant
This PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for running Windows 11 - these requirements help ensure a more reliable and higher quality experience. Installing Windows 11 on this PC is not recommended and may result in compatibility issues. If you proceed with installing Windows 11, your PC will no longer be supported and won't be entitled to receive updates. Damages to your PC due to lack of compatibility aren't covered under the manufacturer warranty. By selecting Accept, you are acknowledging that you read and understand this statement.

davehc

Reaction score
I suspect if there are going to be problems with updates they will come with the next feature update (22H2) rather than intervening CUs. MS could then, for example, turn on core isolation (virtualization) which could be a performance hit for non-compliant processors.
Thankyou for that. I knew the wording was a little more evasive than an outright NO

Gabriel

Reaction score
Last update from October 12, 2021—KB5006674 (OS Build 22000.258) is available too on unsupported HW

1634106655036.png

davehc

Reaction score
Yep. Gottem. Including, for my Laptop, a Graphics driver update

Ask a Question