View - Apply to Folders - Download folder Nightmare

Reaction score
Good day to you all,

I've been searching for a moment to find a fix to this ever changing view settings and failed to find one.

Where it's annoying the most is in the Download folder.
I set it up to Filter alphabetically and no group but any subfolder that get created there is set to Grouped by Last modified.
When I save a file from my browser to the download folder, it shows as Grouped by Last modified even though the folder is open on the side and currently displayed differently.

The major pain comes when I use the option Apply to Folders, it just reset the current view to Grouped by Last modified instead of applying the current view to subfolders.

I understand that the Documents/Download/Pictures and so on have specific enforced design but as far as I'm concerned nothing of what's happening make sense :)

If anyone can help me figure out a fix for this I'll be delighted.

Cheers.

RogerOver

Reaction score
Do you know how to create a *.bat file ?
I still have an old bat file from Shawn Brink on my computer, but I don't have the link to it. It resets all, really all explorer settings.
If you want to do it, at your own risk !, then:
(1) copy the following text into Notepad (I copied out of my bat file):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@echo off​
:: Created by: Shawn Brink​
:: Created on: August 19th 2015​
:: Updated on: August 28th 2017​
:: To reset folder view settings of all folders​
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU" /F​
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags" /F​
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags" /F​
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU" /F​
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU" /F​
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags" /F​
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags" /F​
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU" /F​
:: To reset "Apply to Folders" views to default​
REG Delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Defaults" /F​
:: To reset size of details, navigation, preview panes to default​
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Modules\GlobalSettings\Sizer" /F​
:: To kill and restart explorer​
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe​
start explorer.exe​
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(2) then save the file NOT as "txt" file, but chose "All files" in the drop down menu in the "Save" window. Name the file "ResetExplorer.bat" or whatever you want, but imperatively add the dot and "bat" ane save to your desktop. Then run it !

***​

Edit: the link was inside the bat file ... stupid me ! https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/17707-reset-folder-view-settings-default-windows-10-a.html

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question