Views in Documents

mss

Reaction score
Whenever I open Documents or a folder in W11 I always want Large Icons and the monitor screen to be filled corner to corner.
Sometimes this happens but often it doesn't. I always close when in those required formats. I know that there is a button bottom right to change format but, being an octogenarian, I live life in the fast lane and spend too much time repeatedly getting the screen that I want.
Does Microsoft put a button there for convenience because they can't devise any other way to guarantee icons?
W10 seemed to learn from the way that the screen was left when exiting.
Thanks for any replies, words of one syllable if possible, please.

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi,

Go to the root directory = C:\ in Explorer and set it as you would like to have it (large or medium icons)
Click on the three dots in the menu at the extreme right, go to "Options" (last line) and then chose: "View" (the second tab). Once there, click on the left button = "Apply to folders" (see screenshot). This should apply your view preferences to all folders and all subfolders on the C drive.

Sometimes this does not fully go through for all subfolders, especially for huge folders, like documents, if it contains a lot of subfolders. Then go to the documents folder (instead of C:\, the root directory) and repeat the procedure.

If "Apply to folders" is greyed out and nothing happens (already happened to me), try this precious troubleshooter from Microsoft: https://www.thundercloud.net/infoave/new/diagnose-and-fix-windows-file-and-folder-problems/

And then do the same procedure again.

Good luck

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-11-20 144251.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-11-20 144251.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 2

Vote:

mss

Reaction score
Thanks RogerOver for your time. This is rather deep water for me and I will wade in when I am feeling strong.

Vote:

Ask a Question