Weird graphical artifacts

Nature_Boy

Reaction score
3 days, ago, my PC was running fine with no issues and then the next day, I started noticing weird horizontal graphic lines running across my screen sometimes. If I opened any app, these lines may appear at the bottom of the app or a modal within the app. When I played Atomic Heart, graphic artifacting would come into play all over the game. I was on the Insiders Release Build for months without issue and a day ago I switched to the Beta build. There were also additional updates from Microsoft along with an Nvidia driver update. I tried reverting the changes to no avail.

I tried the following which didn't help:
  • Reset This PC
  • Windows reinstall and keep my apps/documents
  • Clean install
This time when I opened any app and went to another app, one or both apps would turn completely black. If I moved my mouse over the app, UI elements would appear and would be functional. When I play any YouTube video, there are high chances that there will be a temp blackout of the video, a buzzing noise like Windows is about to BSOD but doesn't.
  • I installed the latest Nvidia Experience and got the latest driver.
  • Under Settings - Gaming - Gaming Mode - Graphics, I played with turning on and off the various options. Before this all started, I had all 3 options enabled.
Windows build/version: 226221/1413

I'm not sure what else I can do to resolve this issue so any good advice is welcome.

Thank youScreen artifacts.png

Last edited:

yodap

Reaction score
Your system specs would help us. CPU, GPU, RAM, PS AND Motherboard. Monitor.

Sir_George

Reaction score
3 days, ago, my PC was running fine with no issues and then the next day, I started noticing weird horizontal graphic lines running across my screen sometimes. If I opened any app, these lines may appear at the bottom of the app or a modal within the app. When I played Atomic Heart, graphic artifacting would come into play all over the game. I was on the Insiders Release Build for months without issue and a day ago I switched to the Beta build. There were also additional updates from Microsoft along with an Nvidia driver update. I tried reverting the changes to no avail.

I tried the following which didn't help:
  • Reset This PC
  • Windows reinstall and keep my apps/documents
  • Clean install
This time when I opened any app and went to another app, one or both apps would turn completely black. If I moved my mouse over the app, UI elements would appear and would be functional. When I play any YouTube video, there are high chances that there will be a temp blackout of the video, a buzzing noise like Windows is about to BSOD but doesn't.
  • I installed the latest Nvidia Experience and got the latest driver.
  • Under Settings - Gaming - Gaming Mode - Graphics, I played with turning on and off the various options. Before this all started, I had all 3 options enabled.
Windows build/version: 226221/1413

I'm not sure what else I can do to resolve this issue so any good advice is welcome.

Thank youView attachment 977
The first step is to try to isolate the problem to the cause. If you have another monitor, try using it and see if the situation has resolved. If the problem persists or you don't have another monitor to test, read the information provided in the link below. I suggest reading the entire article.

Last edited:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
From way too many years of experience, I'd have to say that the problem is in the graphical interface and not in Windows. However, in many cases, graphics memory is supplemented by System Memory.
The quick and easy fix, costing nothing, would be to run a memory test on the system ram.
And if system ram is found to be failing, then perform the necessary action. (clean it, or replace it).

In one case, I took out the system ram and cleaned it, and the video problem was gone.
And, in another case, it was the video ram on the video card. Cleaning the video card solved that problem.
On some of the newer video cards, that is not really possible, and only a total card replacement is possible.

I wish I could be there to diagnose the problem. It's what I've done for over 40 years.
Good Luck Mate!
Shadow :cool:

Ask a Question