What do you do with the cookie banner?

cosmic52

Reaction score
What do you do when the cookie banner comes up?..Do just tick OK and sod it, un-tick them all and click reject thinking that will get stop all the tracking or press reject after un-ticking all the Legitimate cookies, because Legitimate is a tracking cookie by rights isn't it?.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
What's a cookie banner? Got pic's?
I do know about Tracking Cookies though, that's why I run "Super Anti Spyware" in all my PC's. To get rid of the Tracking Cookies and the occasional Trojan. And why not? The FREE version works perfectly good.

cosmic52

Reaction score
The cookie banner is what comes up before you use a site, whether you let third party or legitimate cookies go on your computer or not, surely you've seen them or clicked them?.

davehc

Reaction score
I had not heard the term before either.

But, on the web
"A cookie consent banner is a cookie notification that is displayed on websites and other apps in the form of a banner or pop-up upon the user's visit that explicitly asks for users' consent before deploying cookies. It does not just inform the user about cookies on a website but asks for their consent first."

cosmic52

Reaction score
Some websites won't let you continue Dave, until you've gone through the clicks. They're a pain in the a**e, because who would allow third party cookies anyway. I haven't yet found out about the Legitimate cookies which will go your computer unless you go through the banner. What Legitimate cookies do I don't know, but I went on the daily mail site the other day and lost count after 103 legitimate cookie permission. I feel it's just another way of placing or giving permission to the third party.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I find these cookie banners frustrating - even this site has one. I'd much rather it didn't as I don't really see the use in it, but it's the law for the time being. It's basically a way to let users know that you're going to store cookies within their browser so that they can use the site. It's almost impossible to run a site without cookies unless it is very basic (i.e. no logins, no advertising, no interaction).

cosmic52

Reaction score
I can deal with the third party, it's the legitimate ones (so many) or reject all button( does it reject?).

Hwalker1

Reaction score
I usually just don't accept them on my phone. But it seems win 11 has to post a full page banner that is too big to fit on my 15 inch screen. They have no need to ask about essential cookies as the site will not work without them. My opinion about all cookies is for a site to ask for permission once. File it in a cookie and look it uo when the page opens later. Then there is no need to waste my screen time and fingers answering silly questions made by law makers who have no idea how to use a computer in the main.
Essential cookise keep track of what pages you are on and similar. Without them the site will likely be restricted to one page. There are ways round, such as storing the last page address in a variable But for most programmers its not as easy as setting a cookie.
If while browsing the web I get a full page banner on my screen asking permission to use a site, I generlly just press the back button and never visit the site. Some web masters would get lots more clicks if they did not do it.

Bighorn

Reaction score
I usually just don't accept them on my phone. But it seems win 11 has to post a full page banner that is too big to fit on my 15 inch screen. They have no need to ask about essential cookies as the site will not work without them. My opinion about all cookies is for a site to ask for permission once. File it in a cookie and look it uo when the page opens later. Then there is no need to waste my screen time and fingers answering silly questions made by law makers who have no idea how to use a computer in the main.
Essential cookise keep track of what pages you are on and similar. Without them the site will likely be restricted to one page. There are ways round, such as storing the last page address in a variable But for most programmers its not as easy as setting a cookie.
If while browsing the web I get a full page banner on my screen asking permission to use a site, I generlly just press the back button and never visit the site. Some web masters would get lots more clicks if they did not do it.
I also find it difficult when using my 12", 13" and 14" Notebooks in covering the content desired to view but includes no way to X out of them so I go elsewhere. It's a shame for those sites trying to sell something and shoot themselves in the foot with those 'banners', drive potential customers away.

cosmic52

Reaction score
I think sites are losing out in big way or are they?..If it seems more important to get your data than get a sale, then the sites only have theirselves to blame, unless your data is better than the cost of a sale. I can get through most, till I get to the legitimate cookies, which is exactly the same as the third party you're trying to block. So I dismiss the site and find another. They're nearly all acting illegal with these banners anyway, by not letting you choose, but governments are more interested in banning tiktok and other things that suits themselves.

Ask a Question