What is Outlook 365 doing that it ...

BUNG

Reaction score
Outlook 365 periodically cranks up the cpu usage to a whopping 7 or 8 percent and this causes the fans on this msi katana laptop to crank up to a high pitched sound that sounds kind of like a Psychedelic fly or Tinnitus in the right ear.
It can remain quiet for hours then it kicks off doing whatever it does to cause the fan or fans to spin up. It's not checking email that causes this but it sure is doing something there in the background to aggravate the cpu.
Any sure fixes will definitely be appreciated.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
7 or 8%? That sounds pretty low CPU usage to be honest. There will be quite a lot of background tasks performed in Outlook, such as message compaction, archival, update checks, search indexing. It sounds quite normal to me :).

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
mine too, the fan on my laptop at randomly speeds up not a loud sound but the corner the fan is at feels warmer than the rest of my laptop. I don't have office 365 another office suite that has outlook maybe this is my annoying issue.

Vote:

BUNG

Reaction score
7 or 8%? That sounds pretty low CPU usage to be honest. There will be quite a lot of background tasks performed in Outlook, such as message compaction, archival, update checks, search indexing. It sounds quite normal to me :).

Thank you for your reply. That's what I thought - 7 to 8% should never be bringing the fan(s) up to where they (or it) has the sound of a dentist drill. This laptop is a brand new MSI gf76 Katana and this morning, it almost sounded though faint, like a clatter.
Right now, it's on its way back to the MSI repair and I'm hoping they'll detect what it is. In my judgment, it's a fan going bad. What's your thoughts?

Vote:

BUNG

Reaction score
mine too, the fan on my laptop at randomly speeds up not a loud sound but the corner the fan is at feels warmer than the rest of my laptop. I don't have office 365 another office suite that has outlook maybe this is my annoying issue.
Mine has a weird loudish whining sound, something like a psychedelic fly or something. Almost a high pitched sound but it's the fan thing spinning up and down, sometimes consistently. Other times, it's like it will go for several hours before it kicks in again. But the whining sound in the fan is why it's on its way back to MSI for a fix.

Vote:

Ask a Question