White Box in Explorer, Other Features Breaking, Persists after Reset

aGrimTurtle

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been dealing with a windows bug ever since getting a new motherboard, CPU, GPU, and SSD drive for my system drive. I have re-installed Windows (and wiped the C drive) and this issue has persisted. Below is an image:

Screenshot 2023-04-14 214808.png

So the visual bug is weird enough on its own, but when this issue appears there's a lot of functionality throughout windows that also breaks. For example, I can't use snipping tool, or I can't click through the start menu (I have to use arrow keys and enter to restart the PC). Sometimes in a game there is wonkiness like certain controls not working right or something like that. I wish I had more specific info on what breaks but it seems random. It's like all of Windows just gets a little tipsy. But this white box in explorer is the center of the issue, signifies that something is messed up. A restart always fixes it. It tends to happen when I don't restart my PC for usually two days. When I restart windows explorer via task manager, it doesn't make the box go away, but for example I can use snipping tool again (which is how I took this screenshot). I've posted on reddit, asked friends, googled profusely, to no avail.

At this point my only thought is that it is a bug with AMD GPU drivers, as I did not have this issue with my Nvidia 2070. I've also just had issues with AMD software that made me reset Windows to fix, so I'm a little salty with them right now lol. For what it's worth, my current specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X very slight OC via PBO and +200mhz boost
GPU: AMD RX 6800 undervolted
RAM: 16GB 3200mhz
SSD: C drive is on a Pcie NVME SSD.
Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F

Any advice would be appreciated!

Bighorn

Reaction score
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X very slight OC via PBO and +200mhz boost
GPU: AMD RX 6800 undervolted
Having read about customizing a hardware installation but not actually done it I'll go out on a limb and ask if running things at their designed level causes the same issues. Usually overclocking causes issues but haven't seen underclocking being mentioned, usually folks want higher performance rather than lower. Part of display issues is what is seen is not Static like a picture on the wall but Dynamic in being maintained on the screen by the system, constantly refreshing albeit quite rapidly.

Vote:

Ask a Question