WiFi speed very slow on PC

alkemy007

Reaction score
I have a WiFi card in my PC that gets 40mb-50mb max speed and is sometimes as low as 4mb most times. My internet speed in the house is around 300mb. I do live in an old cottage with thick walls so I have to have a BT disc in the bedroom, to carry the signal upstairs. I thought that may be the problem but my phone is right next to my PC, is on the same WiFi network, and was getting around 250mb while my PC was getting 30mb. I turned off the BT disc and my phone speed dropped to 70mb and my PC dropped to 5mb, so it does seem that both the PC and phone are connecting up to the BT disc signal but the PC doesn't get anywhere near the same speeds as my phone and my laptop.

Any ideas?

My WiFi card is 802.11n Wireless LAN card.

Any help appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just went through the same thing with my sister. She had a Dell Desktop with an internal WiFi adapter.
My niece was over and noticed that her mom's desktop internet was considerably slower than her own laptop that she was using.

Long story short...
Had her buy one of these
Everything much better.
Used Device Manager to disable the internal adapter. Figure next time I visit I'll remove it physically.

tpl

Reaction score
If the internal adapter is the Intel wifi/bluetooth/lan adapter then there have been updates from Intel for all parts of that in the last two weeks

Marcass Carcass

Reaction score
I have a wifi/bt m.2 card that came with my motherboard, I originally used it but I was only getting 40-50 mb max. That's with a strong connection to my router. I have 200mb service. I never could get it any faster. So, my fix was the wifi extender I already had in this location for ethernet only. I plugged it in my motherboard and got back my 200mb. My conclusion was that my wifi m.2 card (that came with motherboard) is crap...

Cyrillium30

Reaction score
I have a WiFi card in my PC that gets 40mb-50mb max speed and is sometimes as low as 4mb most times. My internet speed in the house is around 300mb. I do live in an old cottage with thick walls so I have to have a BT disc in the bedroom, to carry the signal upstairs. I thought that may be the problem but my phone is right next to my PC, is on the same WiFi network, and was getting around 250mb while my PC was getting 30mb. I turned off the BT disc and my phone speed dropped to 70mb and my PC dropped to 5mb, so it does seem that both the PC and phone are connecting up to the BT disc signal but the PC doesn't get anywhere near the same speeds as my phone and my laptop.

Any ideas?

My WiFi card is 802.11n Wireless LAN card.

Any help appreciated.
Hi there,
You can get a wifi antenna extension cable online and run it through your house as close as you can get.

It is call sma or rp sma cable.

Please note the ends of the cable.

Have a great day and hope it helps.

Edit: After you have set this up, avoid connecting to the BT disc and connect directly to the network via wifi.

Final edit coz I forgot to mention, one end goes to the wifi card antenna connector and the other to the antenna.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-03-30-17-10-23-458_com.lazada.android.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-30-17-10-23-458_com.lazada.android.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2022-03-30-17-10-01-970_com.lazada.android.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-30-17-10-01-970_com.lazada.android.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Ask a Question