Win 11 start button on taskbar?

esebm

Reaction score
Guys, is there a way to pin the win 11 start icon from it's current location onto the taskbar so I can replace the current location with the Open Sell orb?

RogerOver

Reaction score
Do you mean the "Open Shell" orb ?
If this is the case, I don't have a direct solution for your problem (not exactly what you want), but perhaps a workaround.

When you installed Open Shell, there are different options in the "Control" submenu (see screenshot): you could for instance set the options (for the Open Shell orb) in such a way that it opens:
- the "Open Shell menu" when hovering over it and
- the "Windows 11 start menu" by left-clicking and
- the "Black windows menu" (how is it called ?) by right-clicking
or whatever you want. (You may perhaps need to restart Open Shell: Shift and right-click the orb and leave, then restart it by finding "Open Shell" in the "Windows Start Menu" list).

In the "Main Menu" submenu of Open Shell there is further an option (third last) to show a shortcut to the "Windows start menu" within the "Open Shell start menu".

Edit: You could even draw the shortcut in the Open Shell Start Menu (to the Windows start menu) with the mouse to your desktop and then probably pin it to the taskbar (probably, because I didn't try it. I have a heavily tweaked taskbar (with "Freelaunchbar" and "Explorer Patcher" installed) and didn't want to change everything back in the system to the original Win 11 taskbar).

Open Shell.PNG

Last edited:

Vote:

esebm

Reaction score
OK, let me explain. Please check the attached. I want to move the win logo onto the taskbar and install open shell. If I install open shell right now the orb will hide the win logo and I cannot open the start menu, it's invisible.taskbar.jpg

Vote:

esebm

Reaction score
Well, I did read your message again, installed Open Shell again, same as before. I cannot open the start menu because that windows button is hidden behind the open shell orb. Not even the win key opens the start menu.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Ok,
I removed all my taskbar tweaks (Free launchbar, Explorer Patcher and Openshell) from my computer.
Now my Windows 11 desktop + taskbar looks like this (it is in French, but I do not want to change it).
We are talking about the blue icon at below left which is the Windiows start button. ... Ok !

1.jpg

Then I installed Open Shell. There is now another start button, which is called "Menu Démarrer" in my case (may be it's the bluish shell icon when you install, ... I don't know but you can chose it). When you click at the new start button, you will have someting like this:

2.jpg

Look at the two terms I put in yellow. If your computer is in English, the line "Paramètres" will say "Settings", but "Open Shell Menu" will be the same.

Now click on "Open Shell Menu", also in yellow.
A new window will open, see next picture.

3.jpg

Important: Click on "Show all settings" above ! There will then be more menus shown. If not, close "Open Shell" and reopen it.
Now you will see this:

4.jpg

Click on "Main menu" (yellow) and then tick "Show Start Screen shortcut" (also yellow).
Then click ok (below right) in "Open Shell" and close it.

Then re-open it. You will see a new entry in your "Open Shell start menu" (the first one in my picture below, called "Menu Démarreur (Windows)" on my computer which should read "Windows start menu" on your computer.

5.jpg

Now click on this new entry (let your left finger on the mouse button without releasing it) and draw the entry to your destop. Then release. Now you have the "Windows Start menu" shortcut on your desktop.

6.jpg

Then click on the shortcut icon with the right mouse button. The rightclick = context menu will open. Find the entry "Pin to taskbar" and
leftclick on it.

Now the "Windows start men" should be on your taskbar.

----

Just try whether it works.

If you want another icon on the shortcut (you want the original blue windows icon back), please come back here. I'll explain how to do that.

But I'd like to first verify with you, whether it works at all.

Regards

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi, that's nice !

Now for the icon:

(1) Go to the internet and search for a Windows 11 start menu icon, for instance here: https://icons8.com/icons/set/windows-11
(2) Download the button icon (rightclick the icon, then "Save image as")
(3) Go to your Download folder or Desktop (wherever it landed) and then place it somewhere, where it does not get lost, for instance in your "Documents" or "Images" folder (I created a new folder called "Icons").
(4) Now go to your "Windows startbutton shortcut" on your desktop.
(5) Rightclick on it and go to "Properties" (last line), a new window opens.
(6) Click on "Change icon" (button in the middle), a new window opens.

(7) Then it gets a bit complicated, you need to find the windows start orb icon, where you just placed it. To do that you need to click the button that is called "Parcourir" (yellow) in my case, it should perhaps read "Search" in your case (see screenshot) and click down the folder hierarchy to your folder ("This PC -> "Drive C:" -> "Users" -> "YOUR user name" -> "Documents / "Images" (or where you put it).

(8) When you have found your new icon, double-click on it. You should now see the icon in the window, where was the old icon before (in the screenshot).

(9) Click ok, then apply, then ok again.

The icon should immediately change. If not tape "F5".
Capture.PNG
Good luck

Last edited:

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi,
At what moment exactly did you change the icon ? Try to draw a new shortcut to the desktop and change the icon while the shortcut is still on the desktop. When the icon is changed pin ist to the taskbar.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi,
At what moment exactly did you change the icon ? Try to draw a new shortcut to the desktop and change the icon while the shortcut is still on the desktop. When the icon is changed pin ist to the taskbar.
Another thought: you need to highlight the new icon in the window (see last screenshot, where is a blue background behind the icon; that's why I said double-click the new icon) before you click Ok, apply and ok again.

Vote:

esebm

Reaction score
Guys, I'm still messing around with this. I had changed the Target in the startscreen window, didn't work. When I tried to change it back to the original ("C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe" -togglenew), it says that path is invalid. That's how I remember it. Is that not correct?

Vote:

Ask a Question