Windows 11 drag and drop issue

jsvalen1

Reaction score
Upgraded my PC to Windows 11 and am having a problem with drag and drop. If no files are opened, I can move anything all over the screen without issue. Whenever I have at least 1 file open and I try to drag something or highlight something by holding the left mouse button down, the file or files that are open all appear on the screen. I have to click an empty space on the screen to get the folders to leave so I can continue. Sometimes, if I inch it along slowly a bit at a time the folders won't appear on the screen. But, this is the exception to the problem. Happens every time. Any way to get rid of it? Please.

RogerOver

Reaction score
I'd begin with the mouse driver.

(1) Find the brand of your mouse (written on it ?), go to thier internet site and download and install the latest mouse driver.

(2) If this does not help, shutdown (not restart !) your computer and unplug the mouse before booting it again.
After booting, plug in your mouse and Windows should tell you that it installs a mouse driver (likely it's own, generic driver).

(3) If this still does not help, uninstall your mouse driver: https://mysupport.razer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4118/~/how-to-uninstall-the-mouse-drivers Then do as before. As you do not have a mouse anymore, you need to hold the power button for 4 seconds or so and the computer will be shut down. Then boot again (you can either leave the mouse plugged after uninstalling the driver or unplug and replug it as in the procedure before). Windows will automatically install a mouse driver.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
"the file or files that are open all appear on the screen."
For interest, where are they sitting whilst open?
If I open a file, unless I minimise it, it is automatically on the desktop. But , apart from using space, they do not prevent me from dragging and dropping other items.

Vote:

jsvalen1

Reaction score
"the file or files that are open all appear on the screen."
For interest, where are they sitting whilst open?
If I open a file, unless I minimise it, it is automatically on the desktop. But , apart from using space, they do not prevent me from dragging and dropping other items.
3.png

Vote:

jsvalen1

Reaction score
This all started when my computer began acting glitchy. I took it in for repair and was told it had a virus and had to have a factory reset. After the reset, Windows 11 was installed. I brought the computer home, booted it up and it still had noticeable issues, including the screen file(s) pop up. Long story short, I determined my 2 flash drives also had the same virus and transferred it back to the computer when I put them back in and booted up the computer. Back to the shop. I'm waiting until it's ready. Now, the big problem! Trying to rid the flash drives of the virus, or transferring the data, from the 2 flash drives with the virus, to clean flash drives. Fingers crossed as 1 flash drive has all my personal info going back 23 years and the other has @3,000 MP3s on it.

Vote:

Ask a Question