Windows 11 File Explorer 'Search This PC' Issues

redmike58

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently noticed that when I go to type in searches on 'search this pc' on the top right corner box in File Explorer, it is no longer keeping a drop down list of previous searches. It is a blank box until I type and after the result, the search box clears and does not show the last search/searches made.

I read about Gpedit in Run but my PC does not allow me access to the Group Policy Editor.

Any ideas why this is happening?

For information. I used to have the 'drop down list' a few weeks ago. I have altered nothing to change this.

Any advice would be welcome.

Solution
Hi,
I fear this a problem with the "Search indexer". I had this already and this is a real nightmare (and I do not say this often).
Inside the follwing link, you will find a powershell script from Microsoft, which will reset the indexer: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/t...ell-experience/fix-problems-in-windows-search
But if this does not work, you apparently need gpedit, which can only be used in Windows Professional and not in Home (I think you have already found out, as you mentionned it).
What I did was to completely abandon "Windows Search" and download and use a third party software named "Everything" from voidtools. It is really good. ... Otherwise the only solution I see (after my experience) is...

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi,
I fear this a problem with the "Search indexer". I had this already and this is a real nightmare (and I do not say this often).
Inside the follwing link, you will find a powershell script from Microsoft, which will reset the indexer: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/t...ell-experience/fix-problems-in-windows-search
But if this does not work, you apparently need gpedit, which can only be used in Windows Professional and not in Home (I think you have already found out, as you mentionned it).
What I did was to completely abandon "Windows Search" and download and use a third party software named "Everything" from voidtools. It is really good. ... Otherwise the only solution I see (after my experience) is a "clean install".
Sorry for that !

Vote:
Solution

Bighorn

Reaction score
GPEDIT is included in the Pro version but not in the Home version. My Search will usually bring up suggestions once I start typing but not a history of what was previously found.

Vote:

redmike58

Reaction score
GPEDIT is included in the Pro version but not in the Home version. My Search will usually bring up suggestions once I start typing but not a history of what was previously found.
Hi, thanks for that.
The search box I am talking about is this on top right side:

I normally search for files / 'kind:=pics' on this and it has always retained a list of what I have searched for.
It no longer does and after I have searched, it returns back to this. When I click on it, it no longer shows me the previous search I made. Up until few weeks ago, it always did.

This PC Copy.png

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for that.
The search box I am talking about is this on top right side:

I normally search for files / 'kind:=pics' on this and it has always retained a list of what I have searched for.
It no longer does and after I have searched, it returns back to this. When I click on it, it no longer shows me the previous search I made. Up until few weeks ago, it always did.

View attachment 927
That's the Search box I have/use in File Explorer.

1678282251071.png

Vote:

redmike58

Reaction score
That's the Search box I have/use in File Explorer.

View attachment 928

Hi,
Maybe you don't see the point I am making.

The search box I indicated used to store the searches I made from it. For example:
If searched for Kind:=pics, then say Vistumbler, then the next time I visited File Explorer to do a search, the two searches I had previously made (Kind:=pics and Vistumbler) would show in drop down list from the search box.

It is no longer showing the previous search titles I made from the search box.

My question was, why is it doing this and how can I fix it?

The advice on sites is to edit the Group Policy which I know I cannot do as I have Windows Home.

That is why I thought I would ask on here.

Thanks

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Oh, I didn't miss the point and also don't see previous searches I've done so it must be a change made, not sure it can be undone as File Explorer is pretty much at the core of Windows. It appears to be similar to other things such as the browser offering suggestions for what the user may want.

Vote:

redmike58

Reaction score
Oh, I didn't miss the point and also don't see previous searches I've done so it must be a change made, not sure it can be undone as File Explorer is pretty much at the core of Windows. It appears to be similar to other things such as the browser offering suggestions for what the user may want.
Ok, thanks for your input and observations.

Vote:

redmike58

Reaction score
Hi,
What I did was to completely abandon "Windows Search" and download and use a third party software named "Everything" from voidtools. It is really good. ... Otherwise the only solution I see (after my experience) is a "clean install".
Sorry for that !
Hi,
Many thanks your your reply. I went through the link you provided which was really good to read up on. It did not work but I may have a problem in that 'SearchUI.exe is missing from the 'Details' list in Task Manager. I tried several ways to recover this but am unable to.
This would also cause an issue with Search Index and Cortana (which I do not use).

I downloaded the 'Everything' Software from Voidtools and on first impressions it's really good and precise. I will play around with that.

Failing that, (and I keep putting this off), I may have to do a clean install (No!!) but am very happy with the 'Everything' software.

Thanks so much for all that. It was really helpful.

Last edited:

Vote:

kittensinurface

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently noticed that when I go to type in searches on 'search this pc' on the top right corner box in File Explorer, it is no longer keeping a drop down list of previous searches. It is a blank box until I type and after the result, the search box clears and does not show the last search/searches made.

I read about Gpedit in Run but my PC does not allow me access to the Group Policy Editor.

Any ideas why this is happening?

For information. I used to have the 'drop down list' a few weeks ago. I have altered nothing to change this.

Any advice would be welcome.
Everything - Search Tool
Faster, and more powerful searching than Windows Search. Please use caution, you can find your files, but it also gives you the option of moving or deleting them.

Vote:

Ask a Question