Windows 11 is already leaked??

Grizzly

Reaction score
I found this on a German Computer site (Winfuture.de) :

the build version is suppose to be 21996 and has a lot features of the recently scrapped Windows 10X. There also is an ISO in the web with the
name 21996.1.210529-1541.co_release_CLIENT_CONSUMER_x64FRE_en-us.iso . However this is NOT an OFFICIAL RELEASE, so if you find it, handle with extreme care.

For a preview I attach the link to the German website:

THIS IS JUST INFORMATION I FOUND ON THE WEB, it may or may not be true and just a hype....

[edit]
Well, I found an ISO that points to the new Windows 11. tried to extract the build info with DISM and this came out:

Index : 1
Name : Windows 11 Home
Description : Windows 11 Home
Size : 15,161,659,746 bytes
WIM Bootable : No
Architecture : x64
Hal : <undefined>
Version : 10.0.21996
ServicePack Build : 1
ServicePack Level : 0
Edition : Core
Installation : Client
ProductType : WinNT
ProductSuite : Terminal Server
System Root : WINDOWS
Directories : 18587
Files : 93510
Created : 5/30/2021 - 06:57:02
Modified : 5/30/2021 - 09:05:00
Languages : en-US (Default)

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like it's a real leak. Quite surprising to see it in detail like this, it certainly has a MacOS feel about it. I really hope there are some improvements to Explorer, Control Panel etc... though.

Jeff_F

Reaction score
I found a copy and I just took a chance and installed it. Well.. so far so good. I'll play around with it for a week and roll back to Windows 10.

Jeff_F

Reaction score
It looks like it's a real leak. Quite surprising to see it in detail like this, it certainly has a MacOS feel about it. I really hope there are some improvements to Explorer, Control Panel etc... though.
Screenshot 2021-06-16 152357.jpg

Here's the install I did and it's not bad so far. It seems really snappy and just works,. so far. I'll report back more later on

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It had to happen sooner or later.
Looks like this version is going to put a halt to some of the fun we've been having with older legacy hardware.

Capture.PNG

Jeff_F

Reaction score
There's a work around.. I used replacement file to fix the issue. I suspect it was the version from 10

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I saw that, but....
I'm not all that enthusiastic about pursuing a leaked developers build and then having to hack the source folder to get it to install and not knowing how that will impact future updates or upgrades
Especially, given that the 24th is just a week from tomorrow and I assume they'll be releasing an ISO or other installable source then or very shortly there after.

I suppose I could use Hyper-V and install it, in a virtual machine environment just to have a quick look, but...
My interests is, if most will be installing as an upgrade to a previous version of Windows or performing a clean install and of course
whether it'll be free and if an existing digital license for Windows 10 will support activation.
AND
Whether they will be selling retail and OEM versions and how they'll be priced.

Jeff_F

Reaction score
From what I heard you should be able to upgrade form 7, 8.1 and 10 to 11. As for the price .. it's supposed to be free but I'm sure you can purchase your own copy.

I think the upgrade path would be the way to go, at least I feel comfortable with it.

Grizzly

Reaction score
Well, I tried to install it on my test system which is running 21390. It will not let me install it as my PC "does not meet minimum requirements to install this version of Windows".

lets say, not yet. Maybe later.....

Peter_M067

Reaction score
We may also discuss the possibility (likely, to highly likely) that Microsoft are adopting the Mac OS by using ever-higher build numbers, in this case 21996 on an ever-evolving Windows 10 platform.

Ultimately, the name Windows 11 is in use while in development mode & will disappear on go-live. ?o_O

Peter_M067

Reaction score
Comment from Microsoft Community attached;

Attachments

• Microsoft Community on Windows 11.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 7

Peter_M067

Reaction score
Release Build 21996 is officially the first of 2 planned major updates for windows 12, designated 21H1; 1st 1/2 of 2021. There will be another build release; 21H2 in December '21. This bi-annual release of updates, et.c is in place of the now-terminated monthly update process which caused widespread consternation throughout the (IT) community.

Grizzly

Reaction score
Release Build 21996 is officially the first of 2 planned major updates for windows 12, designated 21H1; 1st 1/2 of 2021. There will be another build release; 21H2 in December '21. This bi-annual release of updates, et.c is in place of the now-terminated monthly update process which caused widespread consternation throughout the (IT) community.
Can you name a source for your statement??

Ask a Question