Windows 11 "new folder" creation defaults as a shortcut to "onedrive"

wislndixie

Reaction score
I'm a new user to windows 11 and in Windows 10 I could right click the desktop and select "new folder" and I could then name the folder and it would be placed on the desktop.
Now with windows11, when I right click the desktop and select "new folder" it creates a folder as a shortcut to my onedrive. (see below)
C:\Users\mebgi\OneDrive\Desktop

I don't want the folder to be a shortcut. How do I correct this? I would prefer the default location be: C\Users\mebgi\dekstop
Thanks for any help you can provide.

]

Sir_George

Reaction score
I'm a new user to windows 11 and in Windows 10 I could right click the desktop and select "new folder" and I could then name the folder and it would be placed on the desktop.
Now with windows11, when I right click the desktop and select "new folder" it creates a folder as a shortcut to my onedrive. (see below)
C:\Users\mebgi\OneDrive\Desktop

I don't want the folder to be a shortcut. How do I correct this? I would prefer the default location be: C\Users\mebgi\dekstop
Thanks for any help you can provide.

]
The following link provides instructions on how to change the default location of the user desktop folder from onedrive to your local pc.

Also, see this additional link for more detailed instructions.

Last edited:

Vote:

wislndixie

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. Issue was solved using Microsoft Support. Apparently Windows11 had tagged my Onedrive "personal" account as my default account. All I had to do was go into the settings of my personal account and change the backup settings and problem was fixed.

Vote:

Ask a Question