Windows 11 startup always freezes the taskbar for about 2 minutes

tvb2727

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Dell desktop that I do not use as much. I upgraded to Windows 11 and every time I reboot it or start-up from being shut down, the taskbar will not show any icons and will display likes it is frozen up.

I do have 3 pluggable docking stations that run 8 monitors. I've tried t update the display link drivers and my main drivers.

Any idea what could be causing this?

T

Taoufik989

Hello,

I have a Dell desktop that I do not use as much. I upgraded to Windows 11 and every time I reboot it or start-up from being shut down, the taskbar will not show any icons and will display likes it is frozen up.

I do have 3 pluggable docking stations that run 8 monitors. I've tried t update the display link drivers and my main drivers.

Any idea what could be causing this?
This might have something to do with the system boot speed, if you use an HDD it won't normally startup fast unlike SSDs. I use HDD ever since I upgraded to Win11 and it takes almost a minute to show taskbar icons.

Vote:

tvb2727

Reaction score
This might have something to do with the system boot speed, if you use an HDD it won't normally startup fast unlike SSDs. I use HDD ever since I upgraded to Win11 and it takes almost a minute to show taskbar icons.
Yes, that is true, but I am still on SSD. The task bar will show only on the main monitor and all the other windows will have a blank task bar until it finishes whatever it is doing?

Vote:
T

Taoufik989

Yes, that is true, but I am still on SSD. The task bar will show only on the main monitor and all the other windows will have a blank task bar until it finishes whatever it is doing?
Microsoft has addressed an issue that causes SSDs (especially NVMe types) slowly reading and writing and it's now fixed. When I used to work with Windows 10, it was starting up in less than 15 seconds. Furthermore, the taskbar icons were showing up right away than those of Windows 11 so I'd say that the new OS is being currently under improvement just be patient.

Vote:

tvb2727

Reaction score
Microsoft has addressed an issue that causes SSDs (especially NVMe types) slowly reading and writing and it's now fixed. When I used to work with Windows 10, it was starting up in less than 15 seconds. Furthermore, the taskbar icons were showing up right away than those of Windows 11 so I'd say that the new OS is being currently under improvement just be patient.

Thanks for the information, Taoufik989.

Any idea when the fix will be pushed?

Vote:

tvb2727

Reaction score
@Taoufik989

Update:

I worked with Plugable support on this issue. Plugable took some logs and said my setup was not what they suggested. (They recommend one docking station and 3 of these: Plugable USB 3.0 or USB C to HDMI Adapter for Dual Monitors, Universal Video Graphics Adapter for Mac and Windows, Thunderbolt 3/4, USB 3.0 or USB-C, 1080p@60Hz : Electronics (amazon.com) )

I made a couple of changes they suggested, but it still really did not help. I also had another firmware update from Dell that seemed to help on the first reboot but not after that.

I then told a co-worker about my issue. They said to try Windows Insider Program. So I went with the Beta Channel selection and installed the following feature for Windows 11 - it took about an hour or so. Everything WORKS perfectly now! I've rebooted ten times, and the taskbar displays within 10 seconds or sometimes instantly!

Here is the release: Windows 11 Insider Preview 22621.1 (ni_release)

I'll keep my Plugable setup right now, but it might go to what they suggest down the road.

So, in the end, you were right to wait for the feature update for Windows 11, and it appears everything would have been back to normal.

Vote:

Ask a Question