Windows 11 Updates appearing in Windows 10

jameswesthead

Reaction score
I have windows 10 Pro and Windows 11 Insider beta on two separate SSD's on the same PC. Installing Windows 11 Insider automatically created a dual boot system for me, and I have received Windows 10 and Windows 11 updates with no problems. Yesterday afternoon I was in Windows 10 and checked whether any updates were available. To my amazement, two Windows 11 Insider Updates were offered 10.0.22627.575 and 10.0.22622.586 and the first began to download and install. It wrecked my Windows 10 installation and I had to restore it from a Acronis backup taken on 22nd August. I checked and both these updates were correctly installed in Windows 11 some days ago. In restoring Windows 10, to my annoyance, these updates appeared again. I contacted Microsoft Support who gave me a Windows 10 Registry hack to prevent "Upgrades", by which I suppose it means that my Windows 10 installation cannot now be upgraded to 11, and so no rogue updates can appear. I have been so upset by this weirdness that I have started the process of leaving the Insider scheme. In several months time (probably February or so), I intend to migrate from 10 to 11 using the Free Upgrade offer, because I have been quite impressed with 11. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Solution
I have looked this up on Windows 10 Forums and it has happened to other people as well. It is nothing to do with me being a Windows 11 Insider. There s a video showing a "fix", which involves either editing the registry or using the Group Policy Editor to prevent such unwanted updates being forced on Windows 10. Anyway, I will soon be voluntarily migrating to 11, so t won't matter.

jameswesthead

Reaction score
I have looked this up on Windows 10 Forums and it has happened to other people as well. It is nothing to do with me being a Windows 11 Insider. There s a video showing a "fix", which involves either editing the registry or using the Group Policy Editor to prevent such unwanted updates being forced on Windows 10. Anyway, I will soon be voluntarily migrating to 11, so t won't matter.

Vote:
Solution

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
I was at friend's house, yesterday, to do some maintenance work on his three computers.
When he turned on one of his 2 HP Laptops, with Win-10 on it, it immediately went into "Getting Updates, don't turn off your computer".
That went on for a half hour or so, and when it finally booted up to the desktop, it was running Windows 11. I did not notice what version. But the tell was that all the taskbar icons were clustered into the center of the Taskbar. I immediately fixed that!
There was no "Windows Old" folder.

So I went ahead and cleaned up the HD and performed my standard tweaks for Windows 11. Fixed the context menu, etc.
But, in 40+ years, I've never seen any PC update itself from one OS to the next higher OS, all by itself, with no human input. That was totally WEIRD!
My friend has been wanting to try Windows 11, so now he can. :ROFLMAO:
:cool:

Vote:

Ask a Question